Tips for Perfect Genoise Cake

Reaction score
So I really enjoy sponge cakes and egg-based cakes, especially to make layer cakes with. My favorite is genoise, but it seems that whenever I make it, I end up with a sort of yellow rubbery, eggy layer at the bottom of the cakes. The top part is perfectly fine, but its just the bottom part that bothers me. It looks as if the cake just separated into two distinct layers during baking. I've tried various recipes with various ratios of egg, egg yolks, sugar, and flour, and it seems that this problem is persisting. This doesn't happen with regular sponge cakes or hot-milk sponge cakes...
Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi Jackie

Genoise is so yummy, especially if you are layering with rich moist fillings. It is not your recipe you are using, although genoise is a very precise cake to the gram. It most likely is the method you are using.

Ok you have successfully folded the flour mixture into the egg mixture. First part is the egg sugar salt mixture, are you sure you didn't scramble it, but just kept it at about lukewarm temperature. Then you whisked it right? It became soft and creamy. You folded the flour in.

Here is where I think you went wrong. You added the hot clarified butter and vanilla essence to the batter. The trick is to take a cup of your batter then add it to your hot clarified butter and vanilla mix first, fold that carefully. Then you pour the buttery butter back into the main batter, and you fold it until just blended. That is the common mistake which will give you the rubbery bottom.

And by the way genoise, in my opinion, is the cake that separates the girls from the women.

Reaction score
Hi I made a genoise today - first time, it looks as it should, it rose perfectly, it was uniform in colour and texture all the way through - my only issue is that it feels a bit rubbery - so when cutting into with a spoon it doesn't fall apart like a standard madeira or creamed sponge it was sort of rubbery - the recipe I used was: 250g high ratio cake flour, 250 grams sugar, 8 eggs, 50 grams butter, and a bit of vanilla extract. I whisked the eggs with the sugar over simmering pan of water until volume increased about five times and the mixture was in ribbons when the spatula was lifted. I gently folded in the cake flour bit by bit - I took a little out mixed in melted butter and vanilla extract and then added this back to main batter and folded very carefully - any suggestions on what I might have done wrong or is this the consistency of a genoise?

Ask a Question