to beat or not to beat

Reaction score
I've got a recipe for a cake that says to beat the egg whites separately to stiff peaks and fold into the batter...I guess this makes it lighter in texture? Will it be like an angel food cake? I don't want that. Can I just leave the recipe as is and just put the eggs in together?

Reaction score
Yeah, you could end up with a cake with a similar texture to angel food cakes, try leaving the eggs as they are, see what result you get. Whatever you decide, please let us know the result :D

Reaction score
Yeah, please do. I've never ran into this situation before, calling for them to be done separately. I imagine the whites would add a lightness to the batter, whereas a pure yolk mix would have a certain consistency. It might have called for it because the texture is supposed to be one way or the other, too.

Reaction score
The science of baking. I am so eager to hear how this turned out. Poor me can't even offer a suggestion. Slp35 we are waiting. It would also be good to see the actually recipe and see if it's something we might want to try even if only to see the results.

Reaction score
Since I personally think angel food is gross and sponge like, I would leave the eggs as they are and see how the cake turns out. My guess is that it will turn out more like a traditional cake and you won't have to worry about disappointment or waste.

Ask a Question