Toaster Ovens

Reaction score
My household is really avoiding using the oven right now to keep our electric costs down. I don't have a toaster oven right now, but I have been wondering if it would be worth looking for one, or seeing if I can obtain a hand me down. I know they don't work exactly the same because they are so small, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with them and can tell me if they use significantly less electricity than the regular oven.

Reaction score
I had one in the past and was not crazy about it because they are tiny inside. I made things like cheesy toast in mine, but really it just kind of sat on the counter unused.

Reaction score
I rented somewhere and she had a toaster oven and a huge oven. I loved using the toaster oven, but it depends what you are making. For one or two people is fine, any more you maybe better off using the oven. I would say they heat up fast so you need to keep an eye on food despite the timer, as I burnt a few things because of how quick it was. The best thing was to cook a frozen veggie burger or pizza, really quick and easy.

Reaction score
I have a toaster oven but if I didn't I would get along just fine. I mostly use it for melted sandwiches and the like. The other day I put a few pieces of meat in it to bake after I had lightly fried them. It's really not my favourite piece of equipment. I think I use it just because it sits there.

Reaction score
I like that they heat up quick! The ones I used were always big enough that you could make a decent pizza in it, or a batch of oven fries, or chicken nuggets, etc, etc. I feel better when what I bake is small to use a small oven -- turning on my complete oven for a few chicken wings seem like a real waste of electricity!

Maybe look if someone is selling it used? Judging by some of the comments on this thread, it looks like some people have it but don't use it, and that's the kind of thing that usually means people would try to resell it to get counter space and a few bucks!

Reaction score
I'll take a look around. I don't want to buy a new one because I've already seen the new price and it isn't worth it at this point as I want one to save money. I think for the time being we are just going to eat other things and not bake for a while unless an exceptional deal should come my way on a toaster oven.

Reaction score
I usually see them at thrift stores and flea markets for a good deal. The only thing I ever worry about is how clean they are. You can only do so much to clean a toaster oven and I would be concerned about how the previous owner kept it.

Reaction score
Well I am in the Caribbean and we don't see a lot of thrift stores around here. They are not too difficult to clean but I for one don't know I would be willing to buy a second hand one. I have seen them when I travel. I at one time thought of getting a bigger one. I thought they were quite cheap at Walmart but overtime I have lost interest in replacing mine. I still don't see it has a must have in my case. Maybe if it was bigger and was an adequate substitute for the oven.

Ask a Question