Tortilla recipes?

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade flour tortillas?

I have tried, and failed, several times to make them at home, but they never come out quite right. We love Mexican food and I hate buying prepackaged flour tortillas that have sat on the shelf for a couple days.

I really want to try making them again.

Reaction score
This recipe is the old fashioned way using lard. The woman that told me how to make them said she used Crisco. So, maybe that's the difference. Lard isn't exactly the healthiest of ingredients, but I guess it is probably healthier than fake, chemically altered fat. I think I will try it this way and see what happens.

I want to try and make a whole wheat version too. Not sure if the family will like those.

Thank you for the link, blueeyes. That was nice of you.

Reaction score
This is the recipe that my husband uses (and it's what we're having tonight):

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients. Knead for 1 minute.
Divide dough into 8 rounded balls.
Roll out to about 6 inches (make sure you flour the board and rolling pin really well!!)
Dust off flour
Heat in a pan - when you see bubbles popping all over the top of the tortilla, it's done.

I must admit that I don't have a great deal of experience with tortillas but these make lovely wraps (if they don't taste like the tortillas that you are used to)

Reaction score
That sounds pretty simple, Helen. Thank you! I am all for as few ingredients as possible.

I don't think I have seen a recipe for tortillas that uses margarine. I wonder if I can substitute real butter? I'll mess around with the recipe a bit.

Thanks!

Reaction score
This is the recipe that my husband uses (and it's what we're having tonight):

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients. Knead for 1 minute.
Divide dough into 8 rounded balls.
Roll out to about 6 inches (make sure you flour the board and rolling pin really well!!)
Dust off flour
Heat in a pan - when you see bubbles popping all over the top of the tortilla, it's done.

I must admit that I don't have a great deal of experience with tortillas but these make lovely wraps (if they don't taste like the tortillas that you are used to)

I agree with Cheerio, this sounds like an easy recipe with very few ingredients. Like I mentioned I have a good bakery that makes them but if this recipe worked for me, I would probably make my own. I use my tortillas most for veggie wraps as well as other types of wraps, so these sound perfect.

Thank you for the link, blueeyes. That was nice of you.

No problem, Cheerio :)

Reaction score
When I make tortillas they end up to thick and tend to break. There is nothing like the taste of a fresh homemade tortilla though. I think the best ones have lard as a fat instead of margarine or butter though. It seems gross to eat pig fat like that though. Lol. Its funny to me how I feel weird buying lard to bake with but I dont feel anything when I buy icecream. Its all really the same idea, just not as normal.

Reaction score
I'll try this recipe and see how it works out. If not, it's back to the lard. :D

I've made them too thick before, too, so don't feel all alone in that, Loopyloo.

I also really like Indian fry bread. I used to live in Arizona and you could get it at food stands everywhere. It's a pretty simple bread, much like a tortilla, but you don't roll it out. You just flatten it with your hands and throw it in hot oil. It puffs up really nicely and can be sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon for a sweet treat. It's also served with chili or other savory things over the top. Many different ways to use it. It's good stuff! :)

Reaction score
That sounds pretty simple, Helen. Thank you! I am all for as few ingredients as possible.

I don't think I have seen a recipe for tortillas that uses margarine. I wonder if I can substitute real butter? I'll mess around with the recipe a bit.

Thanks!
Yes, I've used butter in tortillas, and they have turned out fine. I've also made them with coconut oil too.

Ask a Question