Total beginner and total buttercream disaster?!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m VERY new to baking... as in, this is my first cake ever. I think I probably started a bit too “big” and should have gone with some cupcakes or something to start but instead I opted for a full vanilla sponge with buttercream. Instead of a nice, smooth, firm buttercream I ended up with what looks more like a cream cake!

Don’t get me wrong, it tastes pretty good and has been a hit in my house, but it wasn’t what I planned. What the hell happened with my buttercream?!

I couldn’t have added anymore caster sugar as it was so sweet already. It seemed the perfect consistency when I mixed it. My cake was cold before I frosted it, I chilled my buttercream first... what did I do wrong??? Helpppppp

Attachments

• 788E2509-9393-463F-998C-5AB2D6FC75DD.jpeg
    788E2509-9393-463F-998C-5AB2D6FC75DD.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 148
Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m VERY new to baking... as in, this is my first cake ever. I think I probably started a bit too “big” and should have gone with some cupcakes or something to start but instead I opted for a full vanilla sponge with buttercream. Instead of a nice, smooth, firm buttercream I ended up with what looks more like a cream cake!

Don’t get me wrong, it tastes pretty good and has been a hit in my house, but it wasn’t what I planned. What the hell happened with my buttercream?!

I couldn’t have added anymore caster sugar as it was so sweet already. It seemed the perfect consistency when I mixed it. My cake was cold before I frosted it, I chilled my buttercream first... what did I do wrong??? Helpppppp

There’s so many types of buttercream in order to help you troubleshoot, we would need to know The type of buttercream you made, and the recipe you used.

also did you ice your cake freshly baked? Meaning was it iced the day you baked it?

Ask a Question