Traditional Baking Goods In Your Country

Reaction score
If you are planning to have a party at your house and you have many invited guests or visitors including some foreign friends what are the traditional baking goods would you like to serve or you want to introduce to all your visitors? Will you personally bake or just buy this baking goods for them?

Reaction score
In the US we often make pies - I think pies are pretty stereotypical! Apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie - every time we have friends from overseas visit, we always make pies because that's what they request!

Reaction score
I think afternoon tea is very English! I'd happily serve it to guests as long as there weren't too many of them, as it would be too much hard work ;)

Essentially 'Afternoon Tea' is tea (preferably served in teacups with saucers), finger sandwiches containing things like cucumber or salmon with cream cheese, scones with jam and cream, and various little cakes and pastries. Yum!

Reaction score
This is the best thread ever. In Serbia we simply love to bake. We have dozen of different pies or pastries whatever you want to call them. I really cannot translate them with some meaning added but I can show you the pictures. They are usually home made pies with basic dough but mad in a special way that is really fun to do or watch.

This one is a traditional Sukana Pie. Sukana meaning rolled or stretched.

This one is a bit more modern. It is a Gibanica ( Serbian Pie) but she is making it is not home made because the thin pastry she is using is bought in stores. Traditionally we make them at home and it is similar to the first video.

Finally, Burek. This a legendary pastry type of dish.

Reaction score
I think afternoon tea is very English! I'd happily serve it to guests as long as there weren't too many of them, as it would be too much hard work ;)

Essentially 'Afternoon Tea' is tea (preferably served in teacups with saucers), finger sandwiches containing things like cucumber or salmon with cream cheese, scones with jam and cream, and various little cakes and pastries. Yum!

I've been to places that serve Afternoon Tea and it's honestly one of the most fun "girls day" type events I've ever been to! Going to something like that with girlfriends makes us all feel so classy and it's just a lovely way to spend time! Tea, sandwiches and cakes - how can you go wrong!

Reaction score
This is the best thread ever. In Serbia we simply love to bake. We have dozen of different pies or pastries whatever you want to call them. I really cannot translate them with some meaning added but I can show you the pictures. They are usually home made pies with basic dough but mad in a special way that is really fun to do or watch.

This one is a traditional Sukana Pie. Sukana meaning rolled or stretched.

This one is a bit more modern. It is a Gibanica ( Serbian Pie) but she is making it is not home made because the thin pastry she is using is bought in stores. Traditionally we make them at home and it is similar to the first video.

Finally, Burek. This a legendary pastry type of dish.

Thanks so much for sharing these with us - It's so great being a part of this forum and getting to learn about what's unique to everyone in their parts of the world! I'd never known anything about Serbian baked goods until you've explained stuff about them to us!

Reaction score
It depends on my mood, what I'm willing to do in the kitchen at that time, and whether or not anyone coming likes the kinds of things I make.

If I'm not sure, I will always make brownies. I've never known anyone to say "NO" to a brownie.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing these with us - It's so great being a part of this forum and getting to learn about what's unique to everyone in their parts of the world! I'd never known anything about Serbian baked goods until you've explained stuff about them to us!
Aww :) You're welcome. If I remember something else worth mentioning I will post it. I like this too but I rarely find something else than classic baking goodies like muffins or brownies. I would like to see more things from some other parts of the world.

Ask a Question