Traditional cakes

Reaction score
Hello! I love baking and trying new recipes. I promised my family that I would bake something new for the upcoming holidays.
Could you help me? And give some recipes for a traditional united kingdom cake ?
Best regards ! :)
Monika.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

A traditional Easter cake in the UK is Simnel cake - it's a type of fruit cake with a layer of marzipan baked into the middle of the cake, and topped with more marzipan once it's cooked. Finally there are 11 marzipan balls on the top representing the 12 apostles minus Judas. It's a very delicious cake :D

I have made this recipe before and it was very good: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/26/how-to-cook-the-perfect-sinmel-cake

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer ! I've never heard about the Simnel cake - so I decided to try do this cake! :)
I hope that my cake will taste delicious! So keep your fingers crossed ! :)

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a simnel cake next week given that it's Easter. I've never done it before but it will be my perfect excuse to give it a go.

Reaction score
I hadn't made a Simnel cake until a few years ago - I used the recipe in my post above and it turned out very well. I'm a big fan of the 'How to cook the perfect...' series on the Guardian food blog, Felicity Cloake is brilliant. I made her 'perfect chilli con carne' last night and it was delicious :)

Ask a Question