Transferring a bundt cake from cooling rack onto a cake board

Reaction score
Hello,
Can I transfer a bundt cake directly from the pan onto a laminated cake board as the few times that I have tried transfering it from the cooling rack onto the cake board, it broke even by using two spatulas to lift it up!

Reaction score
1. You don’t lift the cake out of the mold. You need to make sure your mold is properly greased. Use either Baker’s grease (see below) or coat with well Wilton Bake Easy spray. If using the spray make sure you get into every little nook and cranny.

2. Cover the cake with a clean tea towel or foil As soon as it comes out of the oven. This will trap the steam which will help release the cake. But the cakes it for approximately 10 minutes.

3. Uncover. Place a cooling rack over the top of the bund pan. Invert. Gently juggle the pan. The cake should release. Lift the pan straight up.

4. Place four coffee mugs under each corner of the cooling rack. This will allow circulation under the cake to allow for more even cooling.

baker‘s grease: equal parts by weight of vegetable shortening, flour, and vegetable oil. Whisk thoroughly to combine.

Use a clean pastry brush to apply to the bundt pan, taking care to get in all the nooks and crannies. Make sure you use a good quality brush in good condition so none of the bristles come loose and stick to the pan. Bakers grease can be used on any pan. Stored in an sterile airtight container it will keep for 3 months in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
1. You don’t lift the cake out of the mold. You need to make sure your mold is properly greased. Use either Baker’s grease (see below) or coat with well Wilton Bake Easy spray. If using the spray make sure you get into every little nook and cranny.

2. Cover the cake with a clean tea towel or foil As soon as it comes out of the oven. This will trap the steam which will help release the cake. But the cakes it for approximately 10 minutes.

3. Uncover. Place a cooling rack over the top of the bund pan. Invert. Gently juggle the pan. The cake should release. Lift the pan straight up.

4. Place four coffee mugs under each corner of the cooling rack. This will allow circulation under the cake to allow for more even cooling.

baker‘s grease: equal parts by weight of vegetable shortening, flour, and vegetable oil. Whisk thoroughly to combine.

Use a clean pastry brush to apply to the bundt pan, taking care to get in all the nooks and crannies. Make sure you use a good quality brush in good condition so none of the bristles come loose and stick to the pan. Bakers grease can be used on any pan. Stored in an sterile airtight container it will keep for 3 months in the refrigerator.
Thank you for replying to my question

Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my question
Hi again! I just needed some time to think about your advice and thought to ask you before I try it out, if you have tried this method by yourself; covering the pan with a towel for ten minutes before turning the cake out? How can you determine that it came out nicely only because it was covered by a towel? What if the reason for it not sticking to the pan was because it was baked perfectly? In other words, you might not have needed to use a towel or anything else in the first place? Would using a towel guarantee the cake coming out in a full piece and not sticking to the pan or splitting? Also, do you mean that we cover the pan by a towel and immediately place it on the cooling rack?
Another advice that I have received is to place a wet towel underneath the bundt pan as soon as it gets out of the oven, for ten minutes instead of placing it on a cooling rack. This only confuses me more. I am unsure of which of these two methods works best and is less risky?
I use Nordic Ware bundt pans and I always prep the pan properly by using Baker’s Joy pan spray. I have been baking and selling cakes to a coffee shop. I never had a problem with this pan or baking this cake; lemon poppy seed cake, before. I always set the oven rack in the centre and set the temperature at 325F. At 50 minutes of baking, I loosely cover the pan with foil because I find the rim of the cake drying up. However, the last couple of times that I tried to bake this same cake, using the same recipe, same quantities and method of baking and releasing, the cakes had sticked to the pan both times and had split!
I had tested the cakes, the knife came out clean. However, after having removed the broken bundt cakes from the pan, both times, I found that they were not baked perfectly; some parts were but other parts were not! It seems that my oven has a problem of not distributing heat evenly and also not reaching the required temperature that I have set according to the thermostat that I have placed in the oven.
Would you advise me to lower the oven rack by one level as this bundt pan is quite high bearing in mind that
my oven’s Bake mode setting allows only the lower coil to work. The upper coil does not work when it is on Bake mode or should I increase the temperature to 350F instead of 325F or make both changes together?
Another problem that I have been facing with this recipe is that it becomes crunchy from the outside. What causes this problem in your opinion? The ingredients or the oven?
This is my lemon poppy seed bundt cake recipe:

450 g plain flour
450 g granulated sugar
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
198 g unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 tblsp lemon zest
4 tblsp poppy seed
In your opinion, do I need to reduce or increase any of the ingredients to avoid having a crunchy cake? I need to keep the amount of sugar as is because that is the desired degree of sweetness that is required of me. Is the problem with my ingredients ratios or my oven?

I would appreciate your kind advice very much. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi again! I just needed some time to think about your advice and thought to ask you before I try it out, if you have tried this method by yourself; covering the pan with a towel for ten minutes before turning the cake out? How can you determine that it came out nicely only because it was covered by a towel? What if the reason for it not sticking to the pan was because it was baked perfectly? In other words, you might not have needed to use a towel or anything else in the first place? Would using a towel guarantee the cake coming out in a full piece and not sticking to the pan or splitting? Also, do you mean that we cover the pan by a towel and immediately place it on the cooling rack?
Another advice that I have received is to place a wet towel underneath the bundt pan as soon as it gets out of the oven, for ten minutes instead of placing it on a cooling rack. This only confuses me more. I am unsure of which of these two methods works best and is less risky?
I use Nordic Ware bundt pans and I always prep the pan properly by using Baker’s Joy pan spray. I have been baking and selling cakes to a coffee shop. I never had a problem with this pan or baking this cake; lemon poppy seed cake, before. I always set the oven rack in the centre and set the temperature at 325F. At 50 minutes of baking, I loosely cover the pan with foil because I find the rim of the cake drying up. However, the last couple of times that I tried to bake this same cake, using the same recipe, same quantities and method of baking and releasing, the cakes had sticked to the pan both times and had split!
I had tested the cakes, the knife came out clean. However, after having removed the broken bundt cakes from the pan, both times, I found that they were not baked perfectly; some parts were but other parts were not! It seems that my oven has a problem of not distributing heat evenly and also not reaching the required temperature that I have set according to the thermostat that I have placed in the oven.
Would you advise me to lower the oven rack by one level as this bundt pan is quite high bearing in mind that
my oven’s Bake mode setting allows only the lower coil to work. The upper coil does not work when it is on Bake mode or should I increase the temperature to 350F instead of 325F or make both changes together?
Another problem that I have been facing with this recipe is that it becomes crunchy from the outside. What causes this problem in your opinion? The ingredients or the oven?
This is my lemon poppy seed bundt cake recipe:

450 g plain flour
450 g granulated sugar
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
198 g unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 tblsp lemon zest
4 tblsp poppy seed
In your opinion, do I need to reduce or increase any of the ingredients to avoid having a crunchy cake? I need to keep the amount of sugar as is because that is the desired degree of sweetness that is required of me. Is the problem with my ingredients ratios or my oven?

I would appreciate your kind advice very much. Thank you!
I am sorry but I forgot to add that there is 1 cup of buttermilk in the i gredients!

Reaction score
You asked advised. I gave it. You can either take it or try the advice other’s gave you. frankly I’m tired of people asking for advice, then turning around and giving me a long diatribe on what others have to say. What advice you try it’s up to you.

I gave you a formula for homemade Baker’s grease because that is the superior way to grease a Bundt pan. use a pastry brush to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Alternatively I gave you the name of a specific brand of spray to use because that is the superior brand. I can’t guarantee that your cake will not stick using a spray.

Baker’s Joy is inferior. As you know because your cake sticks.

Wrapping a wet towel around the bottom of a bundt pan will not do anything.

I need to get the cake to release from the inside of the pan. And that means you need to get the cake to contract. So the pan must be well greased AND the cake must have sufficient moisture inside the pan after baking. So wrapping a towel on the outside is not going to do anything.

You must make sure the pan has enough grease before you put the batter. And the cake cannot be so dried out after baking it sticks to the sides and in the the creases.

The upper coils are not supposed to turn on when an oven is in bake mode. The top coils are for broiling. Just fully preheat your oven before baking. Use an oven thermometer to make sure oven is properly heated.

Reaction score
Hello,
I did not mean any offense when I mentioned what others have written. It is only normal to question which opinion is more sensible when we have different opinions to compare and I thank you for taking the time to explain how covering the pan by a towel helps.
As I like to thank you again for providing me with your formula for greasing the pan but as I had not mentioned what do I usually use to grease my pan in my first post, I thought it might help to give you more specific details about how I prepare it. I have always used Baker’s Joy spray and it always worked well. I never faced this problem of the cake sticking to the pan before. I will try your formula too
I have sent you my recipe of the bundt cake that I faced this problem with the last couple of times and would appreciate it if you could check it please and let me know if there is anything wrong with the ratios in it. Only thing that I forgot to write down in the ingredient list is one cup of buttermilk.
Also, should I set the temperature at 325 or 350 if I will lower the oven rack by one level? Would I need to use a sheet of foil underneath the pan?

Thank you

Ask a Question