Tres leches cake disaster?

Reaction score
Im new to baking and tonight i made my first tres leches cake. I got ahead of myself and did not turn it out onto a platter before soaking it and icing with whipped cream.
Will cutting it into squares be difficult tomorrow? Ive never had tees leches cake so im unsure of how to cut into it, and if itll be firm or very soft from the milk.

Reaction score
It will be fine. You don’t need to turn the cake out. It’s offen left in and served out of the pan. How much moisture absorbs depends on your recipe. But the cake is forumlated to absorb all that extra liquid.

Reaction score
If you look at the recipe you used, there should be a very very small amount of milk in the actual cake batter. The moisture in the cake batter itself comes more from the eggs. The lower liquid amount and high egg content is typical of cakes like sponge and genoise and the tres leche. They are made drier to soak up syrup after baking. These types of cakes will have 200% egg to flour ratio. A standard butter cake will have only 40% egg to flour. But a lot more milk in the batter. If you added milk syrup to a butter cake after baking, it would turn to soup.

Reaction score
I followed the recipe to a t. 5 eggs separated to 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup milk, it held together even after absorbing all the milk mixture. It is a tad on the sweet side for me, so next time ill use less condensed milk :)

Reaction score
Congratulations on baking a successful tres leches! Yes that ratios of egg and milk to flour is what it should be for that cake. It is indeed a very sweet cake. Kids just love it. :D

Reaction score
I love tres leches cake! Yummmm! Did you serve it yet? How did it work out?

Ask a Question