Turon or Caramelized Banana Rolls

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

What I'm going to share is a staple Filipino dessert or snack, which can also be commonly bought in the streets of the Philippines. This is an easy to prepare dish which is also very cheap.

Here are the ingredients:

6 saba bananas (or plantains), cut in half in a lengthwise manner

1 cup ripe Jackfruit (optional)

1½ cup brown sugar

12 pieces spring roll wrapper

2 cups cooking oil

Instructions in Cooking Turon:

Roll the cut banana on a plate filled with brown sugar.

Make sure that the banana is coated with enough sugar.

After coating with sugar, place the banana in the spring roll wrapper and add some ripe jackfruit.

Fold and lock the spring roll wrapper, using water to seal the edge of the wrapper.

Heat cooking oil in a pan and put-in some brown sugar. Wait until the brown sugar begins to float.

Put-in the wrapped banana then fry until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks on wrapper.

It is best to serve them while they’re hot as dessert or snack. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Turon is best eaten when freshly cooked. The banana becomes soggy and the wrapping is not crisp anymore after some hours have elapsed. That jackfruit is the best filling with the banana that gives the turon not only an enhanced flavor but also a tempting aroma. And I agree that brown sugar is better to use than the white sugar. But we have our own version of turon with no banana but tikoy instead. Well, tikoy is a Chinese delicacy that is made from cassava.

Reaction score
@Corzhens I've also tasted something similar to a tikoy turon before and it really tasted delicious. I like how Tikoy can be cooked in many different ways to suit one's taste, even making it into turon. I also remember tasting a turon which had sweet sticky rice in it as filling. It was delicious as well. :)

Reaction score
Do you think there could be a good substitute for jackfruit? Don't think I've ever seen it sold in supermarkets or greengrocers here!

Reaction score
Do you think there could be a good substitute for jackfruit? Don't think I've ever seen it sold in supermarkets or greengrocers here!

I'm sorry but it looks like jackfruit is a unique flavoring for that banana roll called turon. Right now, I cannot think of a substitute fruit that wouldn't melt in frying. However, you can try the special coconut called macapuno. Cut it into strips so you can embed it together with the banana for wrapping into a roll. The macapuno can definitely add flavor but I would say jackfruit is still the best.

Reaction score
@cupcakechef Hmm... I tried searching if there could be a substitute for jackfruit but to no avail. I remember though that there are other turon roll preparations which use sweet potato instead of jackfruit. The sweet potato cut into at least half inch cubes have to be boiled together with brown sugar first then you roll it up together with the banana. It's no substitute to the unique flavor of jackfruit but it could be used to compliment the banana. Others just simply roll the banana even without jackfruit or sweet potato and the taste will still turn out crispy sweet. :)

Reaction score
@cupcakechef Hmm... I tried searching if there could be a substitute for jackfruit but to no avail. I remember though that there are other turon roll preparations which use sweet potato instead of jackfruit. The sweet potato cut into at least half inch cubes have to be boiled together with brown sugar first then you roll it up together with the banana. It's no substitute to the unique flavor of jackfruit but it could be used to compliment the banana. Others just simply roll the banana even without jackfruit or sweet potato and the taste will still turn out crispy sweet. :)

Awesome! Sweet potato is easy to find here - so I might see if I can find a recipe that utilizes that instead of the jackfruit! Thanks for the suggestion!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads