tweaking the freaking cookie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read all about the ingredients, flours, how much protein, gluten what and how they do what they do.I know about shortenings, leavening and bonding agents. I love it all and it lets me be creative trying all kinds of my own concoctions, mostly cookies in the baking arena. Recently I made a ginger cookie that taste wise was out of this world. The flours however were not enough to bind the dough successfully and they SPREAD winding up after cooling in a stuck together stack which I happily ate. I made them again keeping the same flavor profile tweaking the flour and omitting the baking soda, only powder. Too soft and doughy this time. Trying to get the balance, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Chester this was the original recipe, the taste was out of this world. I kept the same profile as far as the other ingredients went but changed mostly the flour.

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup brown rice flour

2 cups puffed brown rice cereal

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp dry ginger

2 heaping tsp fresh ginger

1/2 cup plus chopped crystallized ginger candy

1 tsp salt

2 sticks unsalted butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup light brown sugar packed

2 large eggs

1/4 cup mild honey

raw sugar for rolling

Second time I added 1/2 cup bread flour, 2 tsp baking powder and skipped the soda and used more dry ginger which worked fine. Not enough gluten in the first and maybe too much in the second.

Reaction score
Hi Becky,

All of my dough is chilled since I make most of my baked goods in stages, dry, another day add wet, chill and then another day bake. If you read the whole thread you can read the original recipe and then the adjustments. The first ones were so awesome almost like dough candy. With that said they didn't hold up as a cookie and I made a mountain out of them and put them in tupperware to break off chunks and gobble. So now the texture is much better but too heavy, the bread flour I'm sure. I need that light weight but gluten(y) enough to just throw them over the candy hump into single servings.

I'm new also, nice to chat. Thanks.

Ask a Question