Types of Centre fillings in cakes

Reaction score
Hi,

I am into cakes with centre filling.

Would anyone be able to suggest which types of fillings are used in cakes for centre filling? And a ranking for those fillings as per preference of the people worldwide.

Reaction score
Filling is a personal perference. Ask 10 people and you’ll have 10 different answers as to preference.

Taste vary considerably by country. Throughout the Asian countries cakes are aesthetically beautiful, but the cake is barely sweet compared to European and American cake.

Filling used in a cake depends on the cake flavor. The flavor of the cake itself will influence how the filling is recieved. In fact that’s true for all add-ins. I made a macadamia nut, white chocolate and cranberry cookie for Thanksgiving. Someone said, “ I love white chocolate and I love cranberries, but not together.” So you can’t ponder filling in isolation. It has to be considered in a complete flavor profile.

If you’re trying to develop fillings to start a cake business, then it’s best to develop a few standard fillings that can be made regardless of season. And a few fillings based on seasonal ingredients. But again, they have to be developed as part of a complete flavor profile.

Reaction score
The number one filling I've ever used has been cream cheese filling. Powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla. Although there are more complicated and sophisticated fillings this one has always pleased the average Joe the most.

Reaction score
Hi Norcalbaker59,

Thank you for your response.

I understand that the preference of customers would be different in each of the regions. From my research, I found that the taste of Americans and Europeans are more similar in comparison to the Asian, African, and Middle Eastern countries.

Since the taste preference is different even the fillings preferred in the cakes would be different. I just wanted to have a general idea of the filled cakes that customers prefer the most across these regions.

As fillings such as chocolate, vanilla, caramel, nuts, and fruits are enjoyed across all regions. in that case, i wanted to know which of the above mentioned fillings would be generally sold across all regions.

There is usually a standard cake (filled one) preference that is liked by customers regardless of the region. An insight in understanding the general taste palate of the customers in regard to filled cakes would be helpful.

Reaction score
If you are going by regions, then it depends on what general recipes have been, and are used in those regions, as well as what food stuffs are available for such dessert items.

If you are in the Northern Americas, then pretty much everything is available. In the USA, probably the most common filling is pudding or custard, the next most popular would be chocolates and then fruit fillings.

The British are fond of their custards and fruit fillings as well, if I am to believe what I see on some of the British baking shows.

Anything can be used as a filling, but like Norcalbaker said, it really depends on preferential tastes. Some areas might have a preference for fruit, other areas might have a preference for cream fillings, while other areas may like compote, jams, or sliced fruit.

Three popular "store bought" cakes here in the USA that are popular across the country are Oreo Cake, and Snickers or Reeses Cake. Oreo Cake is just chocolate cake with plain vanilla frosting with Oreos crushed up in it.....used for filling and frosting. Reeses or Snickers Cake is chocolate cake with peanut butter cream filling for the Reeses and caramel cream filling for the Snickers, and both usually have a peanut butter frosting.......although there are many variances to these cakes.

From what I understand about British cake, their main preference is strawberry or raspberry jam and a cream filling layer between layers of white cake. I think this is called a Victoria Sponge.

Mexico's favorite cake is the Tres Leche's, which is a cinnamon white cake soaked in at least three different types of milk and/or sweet creams, topped with whipped cream and fruit.

Japan has Daifuku and Dorayaki. Daifuku is like a little cake ball with usually a cream or fruit filling inside, although anything really can be used for the filling. Dorayaki is like a macaron, but basically two tiny pancakes with a filling between them.

The "theme" for most of the "civilized" countries it seems is fruit. I'm not sure about other countries most popular cake like desserts, but for these countries, it seems to be that either a cream/custard filling or a fruit filling are the most widely used and accepted.

Hmmmm....I hope that helps with the answer you are looking for???

Reaction score
Hi Norcalbaker59,

I understand that the preference of customers would be different in each of the regions. From my research, I found that the taste of Americans and Europeans are more similar in comparison to the Asian, African, and Middle Eastern countries.

Since the taste preference is different even the fillings preferred in the cakes would be different. I just wanted to have a general idea of the filled cakes that customers prefer the most across these regions.

As fillings such as chocolate, vanilla, caramel, nuts, and fruits are enjoyed across all regions. in that case, i wanted to know which of the above mentioned fillings would be generally sold across all regions.

There is usually a standard cake (filled one) preference that is liked by customers regardless of the region. An insight in understanding the general taste palate of the customers in regard to filled cakes would be helpful.

The region I live in is home to some of the top restaurants, bakeries, and pastry chefs in the country. It’s also known internationally for its wine. So the people here, both residences and tourists, are very focused on fresh, seasonal and organic.

Chocolate is highly regarded in this area. The focus is on high quality imported French and Belgium chocolate. Locally the emphasis is on small batch bean to bar chocolate.

Products featuring vanilla bean opposed to extracts and emulsions are also desired here.

Fruit is seasonal and fresh. Some of the top pastry chefs in the United States work out of this area. They do not list their fruit fillings since it’s seasonal. Seasonal means assessing quality each season, so the actual fruit fillings offered in given season will vary depending on the quality of the crop.

Nuts are very controversial given exposure to nuts can cause anaphylactic shock and even death in both children and adults with nut allergies. Approximately 200,000 individuals a year require emergency medical care due to food allergen exposure. Of those, approximately 150 – 200 people a year die from nut exposure. So family and friends of children and adults with nut allergies also try to avoid products with nuts. So nut based pastry products are not necessary a good investment.

To be honest, there isn’t much of a market in this region for frozen pastry and baked goods given the quality of what is available locally.

The only way to sell frozen imported pastry, or any food products internationally is through food importers/exporters and distributors. You need to be part of a supply chain. Those on the marketing and distribution end of the supply chain know the demands of their markets. I have family involved in food imports and distribution. You really cannot reach your markets without being part of a supply chain.

Reaction score
Hi ChesterV,

I am interested in reaching out to the American and European market for selling baked goods
My major focus is on baked goods with a centre filling.

I am currently making:
  • Breads and rolls
  • Cakes and pastries
  • Cookies
  • Others (pie, quiche, muffin, biscuits)
Questions:
  • Out of the above product categories, which do you think has a large preference among consumers in Americas and Europe?
  • What type of fillings would be appropriate with bread, rolls, and buns?
  • What type of fillings would be best for cakes and pastries?
  • What type of fillings would be best for cookies?
  • What type of fillings would be appropriate for other baked goods like pies, quiche, muffin, doughnut, and biscuits?
The general idea of bakery products is that bread and rolls are the most sold bakery item. But when it comes to the baked goods that come with fillings changes the situation is different. The demand for a filled bread might be lower compared to filled cakes.
  • Is there any insights you can share on that?
  • What percentage of the above mentioned baked goods come with fillings (inside)?

NOTE: The products above will have fillings inside the baked item. Exclude the cakes or baked goods with layered fillings or sandwich fillings.

Reaction score
For plainish or lightly flavoured sponges (vanilla, strawverry etc) I like jam fillings, often with some sweetened cream or a small amount of buttercream.

Ask a Question