Uncle Sam's Fresh Strawberry and Blueberry Pie

Reaction score
I was looking around for recipe I could make with the fresh strawberries and blueberries I have, and I came across this one. It looks really yummy. It's a bit more than I want to do just for myself, but it sure is pretty, and I'll bet it tastes at least as good as it looks.

Ingredients:

• 2 9 inches refrigerated pie dough disc
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, slice in half
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • Heavy whipping cream
  • Pure vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake one pie crust according to package directions.
Combine strawberries, blueberries and 1/2 cup sugar and let sit for 20 minutes.
Roll out the other pie crust. Using a 2-inch star cookie cutter, press out stars. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Whip the cream, adding a drop or two of vanilla and a teaspoon of sugar.
Pile the strawberries and blueberries in the prebaked pie shell and top with whipping cream. Arrange 3 stars on top of the whipping cream.

uncle-sams-fresh-strawberry-and-blueberry-pie-10400019rca-ss.jpg

Reaction score
I always make something patriotic with strawberries and blueberries, particuarly on patriotic holidays like the 4th of July. I have made a very similar recipe to this. I also love making white sheet cake with blueberries and strawberries on top arranged like the flag. It also seems to be everyone's favorite. We often use the leftover blueberries and strawberries for simple granola and yogurt parfaits that look really festive as well. We always let the kids make these since they require no real skill and can be customized to their tastes.

Reaction score
Mmmmm, I make something almost similar, but its not a pie, its more of a fruit salad.

Reaction score
Well this just sounds like an American thing to eat this summer. I happen to love using fresh berries in any way that I can in the kitchen, so this is really up my alley when it comes to that. Those are probably my two favorite berries as well, and they are the colors of the flag, so this is just an all around win. Thanks for the share.

Reaction score
I think this is perfect for the 4th - I would have loved to have seen this recipe a couple weeks ago!

I might bookmark it for Thanksgiving though! I think it would be well received!

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of flag cakes, but have never made one @Lisa Davis is it difficult to assemble?

I happen to have more blueberries and strawberries on hand this week, as well as some watermelon. I haven't made anything with them, am just eating them straight up or in yogurt, because it's been too hot to do much baking, but I just stumbled upon a nice torte I might want to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheryl N.

Latest Threads