Uneven baking

Reaction score
I have recently been making homemade yeast rolls and baking them in my muffin pan. The issue I'm having is the bottom of the buns are practically burned by the time the tops arw a nice brown. Help!!
Thanks!

Reaction score
I have recently been making homemade yeast rolls and baking them in my muffin pan. The issue I'm having is the bottom of the buns are practically burned by the time the tops arw a nice brown. Help!!
Thanks!

Hello Mari, welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your rolls. Here’s a few things to try.

Use an oven thermometer to ensure your oven is heating to the correct temperature. Place the thermometer in the center of the rack and check it before you put the rolls in. If it’s at the wrong temperature, increase/reduce the temperature, then wait 5 minutes and check again before baking.

Taylor and CDN both make good oven thermometers that cost about $6 - $8.

Preheat the oven a full 30 minutes before baking. Conventional ovens heat from a single heat source so it takes about 30 mins for the oven chamber to fully heat.

What color is your muffin tin? If it is a dark colored metal, a non-stick coated tin, or an anodized aluminum you will need to reduce the oven temperature by 15°F - 25°F. These metals conduct heat more intensely that natural untreated metal, so they burn everything on the bottom and sides before the centers bake. Most recipes are formulated for natural untreated metal.

Use a ruler and measure the height of your oven chamber. Make sure the bottom of your pan is in fact in the middle of the oven.

If after making these adjustments you continue to have problems with over-baked bottoms, place the second unused rack at the lowest position and place a metal cookie sheet on it to defect the heat away from the rack you bake on. Be sure to remove the cookie sheet when you’re done baking so as not to concentrate the heat on the oven floor for subsequent use. If you do not have a second oven rack, try reducing the oven temperature.

But never place a cookie sheet or aluminum foil on the oven floor as heat deflected downward can cause combustible material in the flooring or cabinet framing under the oven to ignite.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Mari :)

I agree with the above advice, ovens don't always heat at the temperature shown on the dial, often they need to be calibrated. I recently found out that mine was 20 deg C too hot! Check whether it's accurate, and if it is then maybe try baking the rolls at a lower temperature for a little longer.

Reaction score
I have cooked and baked on a 1933 Magic Chef gasser for decades. It has 3 ovens, and 6 burners. The ancient thermostats work fairly well, but I do re-calibrate them on occasion. As Norcalbaker59 suggested. decent mechanical oven thermometers are pretty cheap. So, early in Covid I read on the "best" of them and bought 5 different ones, and a vintage mercury thermometer, and a new liquid thermometer. I put of of them all together in similar position and recorded their temps at various settings. Then I scattered them around in the oven. Did this for each oven, and I also put the probe of my remote digital in there as well. Hey, I was bored! I was amazed at the variance in temps for each thermometer whether together or scattered around. I tossed a couple of thermometers that were too different from the others. Even the ones I kept, varied about 25 degrees from each other. And, in fact the temps varied a lot depending where there were in the ovens. Then I took the information and re-set my thermostats.
So, if you are really bored, and out of flour, do this. ;) Brad

Reaction score
Thanks!
turn the oven down, put the pan on a tray.
Some home use molds are very flimsy.
my muffin pans are $60 each. Very heavy.

Ask a Question