Uneven burger buns

Reaction score
hi! I really hope someone can give me some light to what ia happening with my burger buns. I use an egg enriched bread dough and they aren’t leavening properly in the oven. They rise more on one side and even sometimes almost tip over. I’ve tried reducing sugar and yeast, tried proofing in a more humid environment...

I appreciate any feedback

CA3E7011-1239-4F0A-A278-618F4B4D7C27.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi! I really hope someone can give me some light to what ia happening with my burger buns. I use an egg enriched bread dough and they aren’t leavening properly in the oven. They rise more on one side and even sometimes almost tip over. I’ve tried reducing sugar and yeast, tried proofing in a more humid environment...

I appreciate any feedback

View attachment 1766

Hello and welcome. Given that you are actually getting some good rise I think it may be a shipping problem rather than a problem with your formula or proofing. Also see how the bottom of the bun on the side that rose looks like it ripped? That usually indicates a shipping issue.

Shaping is one of the most difficult aspects of bread making. I bake a lot and I’m still terrible at shaping. Dell handling technique requires a practice, so don’t fret. All bakers struggle with it.

When you shape the dough you have to be careful of two things. One you need to take care not to tear the gluten network during kneading and during shaping. When a dough is made it forms a skin on the outside. That skin is an important part of the gluten network; if you tear it at that becomes a weak spot in the dough. The skin needs to be intact to expand as the dough rises.

But an intact skin is only half of it. The skin must be tight, otherwise it’s like a stretched out balloon it fills with air but doesn’t rise completely. In shaping bread dough you have to create what they referred to as tension. Essentially you need to make the skin on the top of the dough very tight.

==========
This link demonstrates the correct way to need so the skin is torn during kneading.

==========

The video link below to Bake With Jack
demonstrates how to create tension in the dough during shaping. Jack actually creates two loaves but the principle is the same for all bread and rolls.

He made two videos that demonstrates the shaping technique, you might it helpful to watch them both.

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/videos/2018/3/27/lh1xj2j1iwklpro84ifmhun4owjcgd

Reaction score
Shaping was my first thought too. Other than the slightly wonky shape they look superb though! Great to have you here @Solbakes :)

Ask a Question