Uneven rising

Reaction score
I don't normally bake in tins, but had a go this afternoon, and the outcome could have been better. Any advice on why this happened (See pic)? Sourdough starter, strong white flour, in a mix and process I've used dozens of times and baked OK after proving in bannetons. 20 mins at 200, then about the same at 180.

Attachments

• 2020-11-17 15.55.01.jpg
    2020-11-17 15.55.01.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Hmmm... perhaps try scoring the bread deeper? Or kneading the dough better? Perhaps use a mixer and leave it to knead for a good 8-10 mins?

I'm guessing the heat found a damp spot in the dough and that turned into steam that couldn't escape. There's prob a huge air pocket in there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I tend to follow Dan Lepard's of a series of 8-12 turns periodically during the ferment, and I used a letter fold for the first time on these, so maybe air got trapped. However, there was no undue air bubble in the middle. Next time I'll I'll form the letter-fold more firmly

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I tend to follow Dan Lepard's of a series of 8-12 turns periodically during the ferment, and I used a letter fold for the first time on these, so maybe air got trapped. However, there was no undue air bubble in the middle. Next time I'll I'll form the letter-fold more firmly

You definitely don't want to purposely fold air into your bread. That isn't how air pockets are formed. When you fold your bread over, you want to do it in a way that doesn't trap the air.

Everyone does the bread fold differently. I've seen vids that shows someone taking a large handful of dough and folding overtop the loaf. I've seen others that take the same handful and roll it underneath the ball of dough.

Start before that, make sure everything is very thoroughly mixed and kneaded before the first proof. If using a mixer, use a whisk to mix around the dry ingredients a bit before using the mixer.

Reaction score
You definitely don't want to purposely fold air into your bread. That isn't how air pockets are formed. When you fold your bread over, you want to do it in a way that doesn't trap the air.

Everyone does the bread fold differently. I've seen vids that shows someone taking a large handful of dough and folding overtop the loaf. I've seen others that take the same handful and roll it underneath the ball of dough.

Start before that, make sure everything is very thoroughly mixed and kneaded before the first proof. If using a mixer, use a whisk to mix around the dry ingredients a bit before using the mixer.
Thanks for the advice. The attached pic, sliced right through the middle of the hump, show that there are no untoward pockets of trapped air, though, just decent sized holes of the size I aim for.

Attachments

• 2020-11-20 14.29.14.jpg
    2020-11-20 14.29.14.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 78

Ask a Question