Mystery Dish Found in Mother's Cupboard

Yax

Reaction score
15549121895647528682055428441538.jpg

Howdys yall. The lighters for scale. I found this in my mothers cupboard and wanted to use it but I can't figure put what it is(nor can she. I'm not even sure if its glazed. Thank you for reading and pardoning my ignorance. Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello Yax,

It’s a tart (tarte) pan. A tart is basically a shallow straight sided pie. The pastry is referred to as a shell rather than a crust.

There are some differences in the type of dough used in a tart versus a pie. The most common type of tart pan is made of metal with a removable bottom. This allows the baker to easily remove the entire shell from the pan.

The unglazed ceramic tart pans like your mother‘s, are more commonly used for savory tarts, like quiche. The quiche aficionados insist that the unglazed ceramic dish produces a better crust. The simple rustic look of the unglazed ceramic dish gives it a certain charm. So it usually goes from oven to table.

Yax

Reaction score
Thank you so very much! You are most knowledgeable. I'll be making quiche soon then.

Ask a Question