Unsalted butter versus salted butter

Reaction score
When you're baking cookies, cakes, etc, what kind of butter do you use? Salted or unsalted?

If a recipe doesn't specify which it should be, then what's the default butter you're supposed to use?

Reaction score
Definitely unsalted. Then again, I avoid salted butter even for normal cooking. The reason is simple. With salted butter, there is a risk of you over seasoning you food. With unsalted butter, you have better control over the flavor profile of your recipes.

Reaction score
I understand the reasoning, but are recipes written with the assumption that people will be using unsalted butter?

What I mean is.... it's easy to add salt to a lot of dishes later on, based on personal preference. Unless I'm making a specific type of salted toffee/candy, though, it's unlikely I'm going to salt a baked good after it's done. I can't imagine salting my chocolate chip cookies, ya know? And I'm not going to be able to taste the difference in the raw cookie dough usually.

Reaction score
I always use unsalted butter. If a recipe calls for salted butter, then I won't use that recipe. I do not like extremely salty food. Said salty food is hard to save, in my opinion. So you either raise your blood pressure unnecessarily or you waste food. It's a lose-lose situation. I am not saying sweets and stuff is healthy but extra is not needed. I think, depending on what it is, a little less salt than called for is better than a little more salt than called for. Plus I use it for most things already and I don't see the point in buying a special ingredient like that.

Reaction score
I almost always use unsalted butter for baking. Most recipies will call for a dash of salt if it is needed. Too much salt is harmful for you so it is best to steer clear if you can.

Ask a Question