Unsalted butter versus salted butter

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Jessi, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

When you're baking cookies, cakes, etc, what kind of butter do you use? Salted or unsalted?

If a recipe doesn't specify which it should be, then what's the default butter you're supposed to use?

Jessi, Mar 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Jessi

forte210392 Member

Definitely unsalted. Then again, I avoid salted butter even for normal cooking. The reason is simple. With salted butter, there is a risk of you over seasoning you food. With unsalted butter, you have better control over the flavor profile of your recipes.

forte210392, Mar 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I understand the reasoning, but are recipes written with the assumption that people will be using unsalted butter?

What I mean is.... it's easy to add salt to a lot of dishes later on, based on personal preference. Unless I'm making a specific type of salted toffee/candy, though, it's unlikely I'm going to salt a baked good after it's done. I can't imagine salting my chocolate chip cookies, ya know? And I'm not going to be able to taste the difference in the raw cookie dough usually.

Jessi, Mar 22, 2014
  4. Jessi

CandlexBread Member

I always use unsalted butter. If a recipe calls for salted butter, then I won't use that recipe. I do not like extremely salty food. Said salty food is hard to save, in my opinion. So you either raise your blood pressure unnecessarily or you waste food. It's a lose-lose situation. I am not saying sweets and stuff is healthy but extra is not needed. I think, depending on what it is, a little less salt than called for is better than a little more salt than called for. Plus I use it for most things already and I don't see the point in buying a special ingredient like that.

CandlexBread, Mar 23, 2014
  5. Jessi

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I almost always use unsalted butter for baking. Most recipies will call for a dash of salt if it is needed. Too much salt is harmful for you so it is best to steer clear if you can.

Tina Nord, Mar 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question