Unsuccessful biscuits

Reaction score
I attempted biscuits the other day, and failed miserably. So if anyone has a good homemade biscuit recipe, I'd appriciate it.

Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite biscuit recipes:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 scant tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, preferably European style
  • 1 cup whole milk
  1. Preheat oven to 425. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a food processor. Cut butter into pats and add to flour, then pulse 5 or 6 times until the mixture resembles rough crumbs. (Alternatively, cut butter into flour in the mixing bowl using a fork or a pastry cutter.) Return dough to bowl, add milk and stir with a fork until it forms a rough ball.
  2. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and pat it down into a rough rectangle, about an inch thick. Fold it over and gently pat it down again. Repeat. Cover the dough loosely with a kitchen towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Gently pat out the dough some more, so that the rectangle is roughly 10 inches by 6 inches. Cut dough into biscuits using a floured glass or biscuit cutter. Do not twist cutter when cutting; this crimps the edges of the biscuit and impedes its rise.
  4. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

Reaction score
Here are some things beyond the recipe that helped me in the persuit of a nice biscuit. I can't promise any of this is "right" but I make a nice biscuit.
1. When cutting the fat into the dough I try to get butter on all the flour not flour on all the butter.
I try to keep everything cold.
I use my fingertips only when touching the dough
When I roll out the dough I fold it trefoil style, turn it over , roll it out and fold it again then roll it out again as if I'm lying to the biscuit dough and convincing it it wants to be a croissant.

Of the above the only tip I can give you scientific back up on is the cold. The reason for that is if the fat releases the suspended water before baking the steam will not lift the dough.

Reaction score
Biscuits are a big ol' can of worms. No matter if you're a Yankee or a Southerner no one can I agree on the way a biscuit should be made. Some swear it ain't a biscuit without lard. Others say there's no better flavor than butter. Many use shortening.

Some mix in bowls. Others mix on the counter top. Some insist on dropping dough in spoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Others lightly knead and roll. But many will tell you to pat and fold, never knead and roll.

But when it comes to the flour, ever Southerner will tell you it ain't a biscuit unless it's White Lily brand flour. Any Yankee that's ever used White Lily brand flour for a biscuit will agree.

The low protein soft wheat White Lily flour produces a light airy biscuit that rises a good 1/3 higher than a biscuit made with other brand flours.

You don't really need a recipe for biscuits. It's pretty standard. Here are the musts for a good biscuit.

Bake in a hot oven, al least 400° – 425°

Bake 10 - 15 minutes depending on oven temperature

White Lily flour. If you cannot find White Lily, the use a brand Gold Medal or Pillsbury. Do NOT use King Arthur as it has a higher protein content.

For every 1 cup flour, use
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons of fat
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
A standard batch is usually based on 2 cups flour.

- Sift the dry ingredients together well to distribute the baking powder. Yes, sift to distribute the baking powder.

- Cut in the fat with a pastry cutter or two knives

- With a fork mix in buttermilk until dough just holds together. Then turn out onto lightly floured counter.

Here's the key--do not knead. If you knead the dough, you will cause the gluten network to form.

PAT the dough into a rectangle.

Fold in half.

PAT the dough into a rectangle, then fold in half.

PAT the dough into a rectangle 1" thick.*

Cover it with a clean cotton dish towel like a flour sack towel.

Rest 30 minutes -- if you don't rest, the biscuits won't be as big and fluffy. The rest relaxes the gluten.

Cut rounds with a cutter or glass dipped in flour.

DO NOT TWIST THE CUTTER!!! If you twist the cutter, you will pinch the edges together, preventing it from rising.

Brush with melted butter.

Bake on buttered cookie sheet or in a buttered cake pan.

*if you really feel you can't get the dough patted out to 1" thick, then lightly, very lightly roll with a rolling pin.

Ask a Question