Unsweetened chocolate ruined my cookies - any remedies?

Reaction score
I was making chocolate chip cookies but ran out of chocolate chips so decided to use a baking bar instead. I didn’t realize it was unsweetened (100% cacao) until after mixing and baking a batch. The chocolate is incredibly bitter but I finely chopped it up and mixed it in my dough. Is there any salvaging it?

Reaction score
I was making chocolate chip cookies but ran out of chocolate chips so decided to use a baking bar instead. I didn’t realize it was unsweetened (100% cacao) until after mixing and baking a batch. The chocolate is incredibly bitter but I finely chopped it up and mixed it in my dough. Is there any salvaging it?

There is not much you an do. However, because it is not compound chocolate, it will melt into the dough. Since it was finely chopped, it should melt in pretty well. You can add more sugar to the dough to try to balance out the bitterness. But you will still taste it. A typical chocolate chip cookie recipe has 110% sugar to flour. I would not go more than 120% - 125% sugar too much sugar will undermine the structure of the cookie dough.

Reaction score
Add sugar. Taste the dough until your are satisfied with the sweetness. Add Honey, Agave syrup, corn syrup or regular sugar.

Ask a Question