Upcoming bakes

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone is baking or planning to bake at the moment?

I'm currently planning a chocolate orange cake, which I'll be making tomorrow! It's going to be orange sponge (made with buttermilk for added moistness) with smooth marmalade sandwiching the layers together, topped with chocolate buttercream and Terry's Chocolate Orange segments.

I've taken a bit of inspiration from Jaffa Cakes (they're a UK thing) - here's a pic if you haven't seen one before:

jaffa.jpg

Although they're called Jaffa Cakes they are actually biscuits - but the base is quite sponge-like. It's a vanilla sponge topped with tangy orange jelly, covered in chocolate. YUM!

Also, at the request of my mum, I'm making some chewy ginger cookies - here's the recipe:

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-gingerbread-men/

I'm going to be rolling them into balls for a more cookie-like result.

Anyone got anything else planned at the moment?

Reaction score
Wow! They look good!! :)
I don't have anything planned at the moment! I'm actually going to be working parttime/temporary position at my husband's CPA firm so I will be busy until April 15th!!! :eek: I'm looking forward to having some extra money but will be kind of sad to not have as much free time! LOL

Reaction score
I just made Butterfinger Cookies, and am planning to make some homemade Eggnog (non-alcoholic), since I didn't get the change to have any over the holidays. I'm also looking around at a few recipes, since I shipped the cookies to loved ones :). I've heard of Jaffa Cakes, but have never seen them. Those look quite good!

Reaction score
Those look very tasty @Becky. I saw a picture of a fresh apple pie last night while I was playing around on the Internet and was thinking of making one over the weekend if I have time. If not, it is going to have to wait until I go on vacation next week. I should really say stay cation since I will not be going anywhere in particular.

Reaction score
I'm trying to be a little healthier this year when it comes to baking - I know, it's hard to do, but I'm trying to still enjoy delicious baked goods without the guilt that sometimes comes with some of them!

I had this bookmarked a while ago from a blog that I read, and I think I'm going to give it a try:

http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com/2015/06/10/blueberry-banana-chia-loaf/

I love banana bread but I love that this has chia seeds in it too for some extra oomph.

Reaction score
Actually, this was on clearance at the store today......
So I'm going to make some tomorrow....

k2-_100bf879-c43f-4b70-a1e6-bec029e9047e.v1.jpg

I know, I'm cheating!!!!!

Reaction score
I might bake a boxed chocolate cake that has been around for a while now. Since I graduated to baking from scratch I have not really bought any or many box cakes. This one has been lingering for some time now. Besides that I would love to make a cheesecake but have no spring form pans other than some rusty ones which I doubt I will ever try to restore.

Reaction score
I might bake a boxed chocolate cake that has been around for a while now. Since I graduated to baking from scratch I have not really bought any or many box cakes. This one has been lingering for some time now. Besides that I would love to make a cheesecake but have no spring form pans other than some rusty ones which I doubt I will ever try to restore.

What kind of rust is on your pans? They might can be saved if its just topcoat rust.

If you are making cheesecake just for you, then you can make it in an aluminum pan like I do. No mess to clean up.
Just throw the pan away when done. I get them at the dollar stores.

Reaction score
i live in the states so please explain the difference in a biscuit and a cookie Becky :) and the Jaffa Cakes look a lot like a cookie to me :)

Reaction score
i live in the states so please explain the difference in a biscuit and a cookie Becky :) and the Jaffa Cakes look a lot like a cookie to me :)

What we Americans think of as cookies, the Brits call biscuits.

What we Americans call biscuits, the Brits call Scones.

What we Americans call wafers or shortbreads, is what the Brits call cookies.

Did I get that right????

o_O

Reaction score

Most of what Americans call cookies, we would call biscuits. There are some exceptions though - if something has chocolate chips, it is called a cookie. Also anything that isn't crunchy is often called a cookie (for example, fresh soft cookies that you can buy from a bakery). Jaffa cakes are an exception to all of that! They are kind of soft, but we would refer to them as a biscuit. And the word 'cake' in their name is just there for extra confusion ;)

What we Americans think of as cookies, the Brits call biscuits.

What we Americans call biscuits, the Brits call Scones.

What we Americans call wafers or shortbreads, is what the Brits call cookies.

Did I get that right????

o_O

Right on the first two! Wafers and shortbreads are still 'biscuits' here in the UK :)

Reaction score
Most of what Americans call cookies, we would call biscuits. There are some exceptions though - if something has chocolate chips, it is called a cookie. Also anything that isn't crunchy is often called a cookie (for example, fresh soft cookies that you can buy from a bakery). Jaffa cakes are an exception to all of that! They are kind of soft, but we would refer to them as a biscuit. And the word 'cake' in their name is just there for extra confusion ;)

Right on the first two! Wafers and shortbreads are still 'biscuits' here in the UK :)

Ok, so what exactly are "cookies" in Britain?

Reaction score
Jaffa Cakes.

This would be the American equivalent of a Jaffa Cake .....

Little Debbie Snack Cakes
5418919550_d076ffc459_b.jpg

Or a "Moon Pie"
images

Reaction score
Ok, so what exactly are "cookies" in Britain?

See the first bit of my post!

Those Moon Pies look really tasty! We have something similar to those in the UK called a Wagon Wheel. Still very different to a Jaffa Cake though! Here's a recipe for a homemade Jaffa Cake, if you ever want to try them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemadejaffacakes_91480

Reaction score
mmmm a Moon pie and a Grape Nehi ,that was the snack when i was a kid :)

that didn't really clear anything up Becky,especially when you start off with there are exceptions lol

Reaction score
See the first bit of my post!

Those Moon Pies look really tasty! We have something similar to those in the UK called a Wagon Wheel. Still very different to a Jaffa Cake though! Here's a recipe for a homemade Jaffa Cake, if you ever want to try them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemadejaffacakes_91480

Oh, so it's a jelly cake! Ok. Yeah, I remember my granny making something like that when I was little, but I don't think people even know what a jelly cake is anymore, here in the states.

You can make your own Jaffa style cakes here in the states if you want though. They will be similar, but not exact.

You can buy premade sponge cakes. These are pretty much made and sold for making strawberry shortcakes though, but they can be used for many other desserts.

dscn8731.jpg

You can fill them with jelly or marmalade, then melt some chocolate and cover them.

For me, I'd replace the jelly/marmalade with peanut butter and then cover it with hard, dark chocolate!!!!

Reaction score
that didn't really clear anything up Becky,especially when you start off with there are exceptions lol

You could say the same for most things in the English language!! ;)

The main point is: The things you would call cookies, we tend to call biscuits.

Ask a Question