Upside Down Pineapple Cake

Reaction score
I love pineapple upside down cake. It is a delight to make, eat, and enjoy. I have not made one in a while, and I want to make one from scratch, not from a box. However, I have misplaced my old recipe, and was wondering if anyone in the forum would like to share their best recipe with me.

It will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Do you mean using cake flour, like real old fashioned? Yum, yum! I do not have one, but I can give my grandma a call. She always makes cakes from scratch and the taste is divine!

Reaction score
Reaction score
My grandma did not answer when I called today, she must have had a hair appointment. I looked in my recipe box and found this recipe. It is one I had to write down for high school, a long time ago. I think it came from a very old cook book. I have used it a couple of times, but it has been a while. Good luck on your cake!

Old-Fashioned Pineapple Upside-Down

8 oz can pineapple slices in juice
2 C plus 4 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
2 C light brown sugar (packed)
2 C confectioner’s sugar
6 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
2 C sifted all-purpose flour
8 Maraschino cherries

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Very lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan with stationary bottom. I use a tube, but use what you have.

2. Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice.

3. Melt 4 Tbsp of the butter in microwave and pour it into the bottom of the pan. Drop the brown sugar and 2 Tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice into the melted butter/sugar mixture. Stir until mixed well and dissolved.

4. Place the pineapple slices over the sugar mixture and place a cherry in the middle of each pineapple round.

5. Beat the remaining butter with the confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.

6. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

7. Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture. Blend well.

8. Drop by large spoonfuls over the pineapple and sugar mixture, smoothing the top.

Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Remove the cake to a rack to cool for 10 mines, and then invert it onto a serving platter or cake stand.

Reaction score
I love pineapple cake and also make it from scratch, but I have no idea where my recipe for it is.
:(

Upside down pineapple cake is my boyfriend's favorite cake. I make it every year for his birthday.

Reaction score
I love pineapple upside down cake and it was a staple in my house. Though, until I ate one and it turned my stomach upside down. I'm kinda afraid to eat another again.

Reaction score
My grandma did not answer when I called today, she must have had a hair appointment. I looked in my recipe box and found this recipe. It is one I had to write down for high school, a long time ago. I think it came from a very old cook book. I have used it a couple of times, but it has been a while. Good luck on your cake!

Old-Fashioned Pineapple Upside-Down

8 oz can pineapple slices in juice
2 C plus 4 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
2 C light brown sugar (packed)
2 C confectioner’s sugar
6 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
2 C sifted all-purpose flour
8 Maraschino cherries

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Very lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan with stationary bottom. I use a tube, but use what you have.

2. Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice.

3. Melt 4 Tbsp of the butter in microwave and pour it into the bottom of the pan. Drop the brown sugar and 2 Tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice into the melted butter/sugar mixture. Stir until mixed well and dissolved.

4. Place the pineapple slices over the sugar mixture and place a cherry in the middle of each pineapple round.

5. Beat the remaining butter with the confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.

6. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

7. Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture. Blend well.

8. Drop by large spoonfuls over the pineapple and sugar mixture, smoothing the top.

Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Remove the cake to a rack to cool for 10 mines, and then invert it onto a serving platter or cake stand.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am smiling here while I am looking at your recipe. It looks exactly like what I am looking for. I am making it for our families Christmas dinner. We are having a ham with pineapples, and all the good stuff, and I wanted to make this to go along with the flow of the meal. You have absolutely made my day.

Reaction score
I love pineapple cake and also make it from scratch, but I have no idea where my recipe for it is.
:(

Upside down pineapple cake is my boyfriend's favorite cake. I make it every year for his birthday.

Thank you for your response. One of the other posters, placed the recipe here. I am so happy, i loved that cake. My kids, all grown now, love it too. Since there are five of them, I had to make sure to put at least 6 pieces of pineapple on it. One for each of us..

Reaction score
I love pineapple upside down cake and it was a staple in my house. Though, until I ate one and it turned my stomach upside down. I'm kinda afraid to eat another again.

I am sorry to hear that you were sick after eating one. I hope you get the courage to eat one again. If you happen to get sick again, it may be something your body does not tolerate from the mix.

I hope all is well with you.

Reaction score
You know what? I think you have inspired me to make pineapple upside down cake for my family dinner. It will be a nice surprise, as no one really bakes anymore. I mean, my grandma will, but she has been hooked on pecan pies for a while. They are divine, too!

Ask a Question