Using a banneton

Reaction score
I know this seems a stupid question but a remedy would help me greatly.
I'm new to bread baking so please indulge me!
I like using a 1kg round banneton to proof my bread but have great difficulty transferring the risen dough onto the greaseproof papered baking tray prior to placing it in the oven.
I thoroughly flour the banneton prior to placing the unrisen dough in it but, whilst the risen dough doesn't stick to the banneton, I invariably end up with cracks in the dough as I tip it upside down onto the baking tray.
There must be a way of doing this transfer properly or bannetons would not be in common use.
Any advice of a crack preventative technique would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Reaction score
I know this seems a stupid question but a remedy would help me greatly.
I'm new to bread baking so please indulge me!
I like using a 1kg round banneton to proof my bread but have great difficulty transferring the risen dough onto the greaseproof papered baking tray prior to placing it in the oven.
I thoroughly flour the banneton prior to placing the unrisen dough in it but, whilst the risen dough doesn't stick to the banneton, I invariably end up with cracks in the dough as I tip it upside down onto the baking tray.
There must be a way of doing this transfer properly or bannetons would not be in common use.
Any advice of a crack preventative technique would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Any of these or a combination of...

Most likely not the technique of turning out the dough, but a weak/poorly shaped dough results in tears

- failed to develop enough gluten in dough during mixing

- did not shape properly (not enough tension in shaped dough)

- too much hydration in formula

- over-proofed dough

- used wrong flour; winter vs spring wheat; hard vs soft wheat.

- soft water (mineral content too low)

- damaged gluten network
- bench rest too long​
- seeds, nuts, add-ins damage gluten during kneading / shaping​
- use of whole wheat flour damages gluten during kneading / shaping​
- over-mixing dough​
About wheat classifications

Reaction score
Hey, First of all, there's no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to learning new things.

Regarding your question, transferring the risen dough from the banneton to the baking tray can be a tricky process, especially for beginners. There are a few techniques you can use to prevent the dough from cracking during the transfer.

Few tips you can try:
  1. Use a floured or lined basket
  2. Use a well-floured surface
  3. Handle the dough carefully
  4. Score the dough
I hope these tips help you to transfer your dough from the banneton to the baking tray without any cracks. Good luck with your bread baking journey.

Ask a Question