Using boards or surfaces to roll pastry?

Reaction score
I always see cooks use surfaces to roll pastry, however I do wonder how hygienic it is and whether to use a large chopping board is better?

The problem is with a small kitchen the surfaces are tight and even though they are cleaned, they are surface cleaned rather than scrubbed. Also I am concerned if I bleach the surfaces then the bleach may seep into the pastry.

Reaction score
Honestly...I just use my bench top :oops: oftentimes the amount of pastry I am rolling out would be bigger than my chopping boards could accommodate anyway, and I figure that as long as I clean the bench beforehand then it's not really an issue. I don't really put other food sources that could contaminate pastry on there anyway!

Reaction score
I always try to clean the surface well, because I also worry about the hygiene, but to be honest I try not to think that much about it :p Because I know that no matter what I do it will never be enough, and I can't just bleach the surface either D: It is very likely this is why I don't bake so much.

Reaction score
Actually I use surfaces to roll pastry because it had the space I needed for rolling the dough. But before I do the rolling I make it sure that it is really clean that is why I am not thinking anymore about the hygiene issues and one thing I am not using that surface for any other purpose just for that.

Reaction score
I always roll over a thin plastic sheet. It helps to avoid any contact with surfaces that might contaminate the dough.

Reaction score
I don't roll dough out that much, but when I do, I pull out my large marble pastry board and clean it before using it. It's kept in a cabinet, but I still like to clean it before using. What I like about using it is that my kitchen lacks counter top space, and so I can place that on top of the stove burners and overlap it with what little counter I have.

Reaction score
I put wax paper or parchment paper on the counter top when I am rolling pastry, biscuits, yeast dough, ect. It makes the cleanup much easier. Years ago when the Mediteranean style furniture was so popular and the end tables, ect had a marble piece in them, I salvaged several of the marble pieces and used them for pastry, candy, ect. I really liked them and since that was the only thing I used them for I did not have to worry so much about contamination plus they were easy to clean.

Reaction score
I am not much of a board person but then again I am not much of a baker. Recently I rolled my scones on my counter that I cleaned very well. I find that because of all the cross contamination talk I am almost nervous at times when it comes to hygiene. That shouldn't be or should it?

Reaction score
I always see cooks use surfaces to roll pastry, however I do wonder how hygienic it is and whether to use a large chopping board is better?

The problem is with a small kitchen the surfaces are tight and even though they are cleaned, they are surface cleaned rather than scrubbed. Also I am concerned if I bleach the surfaces then the bleach may seep into the pastry.

I have a large, very thin, plastic sheet thing like @Bakers12 mentioned. It can technically be used in place of a cutting board (to protect counters so people don't cut on your counter tops). I have one for that purpose and another that is used for rolling out dough. I don't interchange them. Cutting boards can get all kinds of funky, so I keep them separate.

Reaction score
I don't need a lot of space usually for the baking I do,but I have about zero room as far as counter space goes,so I use a cutting board over the sink and it can be a pain,when I roll out some pie crust

Reaction score
I don't roll dough out that much, but when I do, I pull out my large marble pastry board and clean it before using it. It's kept in a cabinet, but I still like to clean it before using. What I like about using it is that my kitchen lacks counter top space, and so I can place that on top of the stove burners and overlap it with what little counter I have.

I like this idea because it makes it much easier to clean too. Currently at my parents they just like to fill every nook on the counter surfaces it's a nightmare to clean and so much gunk builds up, plus it's just not practical to use the counter tops when you have a small kitchen. At least I can move the board if I need to in this case.

Ask a Question