Using Brie in Cake

Reaction score
Hi all! Can I check if it’s ok not to remove the rind off brie cheese if I wish to use it in a cake recipe? I’m thinking if I can strain the cake mixture before baking to remove any bigger bits of the rind, rather than to cut off the entire rind.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Reaction score
Is it a cheesecake? If so then you can sieve the mixtue, but good luck with that because it will be very thick, so very difficult to pass through a sieve. You will end up scraping it through the sieve with a spatula, so bits of rind will end up contaminating your batter.

If it’s a flour batter with leavening then you cannot sieve the batter. A leavened batter (creamed butter, whipped egg whites, or ribboned eggs) has been beaten to create air bubbles in the batter. Passing it through a sieve will knock out all the air bubbles. The cake batter will bake up dense and flat.

Reaction score
Is it a cheesecake? If so then you can sieve the mixtue, but good luck with that because it will be very thick, so very difficult to pass through a sieve. You will end up scraping it through the sieve with a spatula, so bits of rind will end up contaminating your batter.

If it’s a flour batter with leavening then you cannot sieve the batter. A leavened batter (creamed butter, whipped egg whites, or ribboned eggs) has been beaten to create air bubbles in the batter. Passing it through a sieve will knock out all the air bubbles. The cake batter will bake up dense and flat.

Wow! Thank you so much for your informative reply! :)

Yes, it is for a cheesecake and I’m planning to “melt/soften” the mixture of cream cheese and brie over pot of hot water before mixing in the rest of ingredients and straining it

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you so much for your informative reply! :)

Yes, it is for a cheesecake and I’m planning to “melt/soften” the mixture of cream cheese and brie over pot of hot water before mixing in the rest of ingredients and straining it

Personally I would simply cut the rind off. With a chilled wedge or round of Brie and a sharp knife, you can be more precise. I also think you’re going to risk getting bits of rind in the cheesecake otherwise. while it may not affect the taste or be enough to affect the texture, it may mar the look.

Reaction score
Personally I would simply cut the rind off. With a chilled wedge or round of Brie and a sharp knife, you can be more precise. I also think you’re going to risk getting bits of rind in the cheesecake otherwise. while it may not affect the taste or be enough to affect the texture, it may mar the look.

Yes, I’ve baked and I did try to remove as much of the rind as I could. The rind has to be removed indeed as there were still bits of it when I sieved the batter

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve baked and I did try to remove as much of the rind as I could. The rind has to be removed indeed as there were still bits of it when I sieved the batter

i’ve never tried a brie cheesecake. How did the cheesecake taste? Did you add any flavorings to it such as citrus zest? I actually like that concept of using other cheeses.

Ask a Question