Using buttermilk in scones

Reaction score
Does anyone here use buttermilk when making scones? I never have, but when I was researching how to make my own butter, I found some recipes for using up the buttermilk that's left behind.

Apparently, scones really benefit from using buttermilk instead of milk. It gives them a tangy flavour (which I would expect) and makes them even lighter as it reacts with bicarb and/or baking powder to make them fluffly.

I just wondered if anyone here has tried this before I spend time doing it and find it doesn't work!

Thanks.

Reaction score
The scone recipe that I know of uses sour cream. I'd always wondered what buttermilk actually does. I keep reading of stuff such as "buttermilk pancakes" and got really interested in this recipe that seemed to use the acidity of buttermilk to soften bran. But I wondered what the real function of buttermilk would be, because I haven't noticed if it a baked good was particularly tangy or not.

And I have a pretty difficult time finding real buttermilk where I live. I usually go for the substitute of milk mixed with vinegar, because I'm suspicious of powdered buttermilk. Maybe I should try the powdered buttermilk, if that's closer to the real thing and would give me a hint as to the difference.

As for making it lighter, baking powder is baking soda with twice its amount of cream of tartar--which is why, I suspect, most pancake recipes and such call for a little extra baking soda to even out the acidity of the cream of tartar. Would there be any base left for buttermilk to react with? I would think not, and maybe that's why it doesn't fluff...I could be wrong, of course, but that's my best guess.

Reaction score
Thank you, Ellyn - that gives me a better idea. Maybe I ought to try the scones with sour cream, as you do? I think it would be a good place to start. I doubt the tang from buttermilk would be any greater than the tang or flavor you end up with when using sour cream.

When my mom used to bake Irish soda bread, she used buttermilk and bicarb to make it rise; I think it has something to do with the lactic acid content. Anyway, as you say, it's difficult to get hold of buttermilk in the supermarket, and whenever I see it on the shelves I buy about 6 and freeze some. It freezes ok, and tastes exactly the same when thawed, although there is a slight loss of texture.

I haven't come across powdered buttermilk, but I think it's definitely worth a try. If you do try it let me know. Thanks again!

Ask a Question