Using sour dough starter

Reaction score
Hi Folks, got me a sour dough starter in my fridge, actually 2 containers: one for DISCARD other for frequent usage . I have apron. 2 cups of discard starter. whats the feed flour to water feed ratio for that amount?? Nice to be aboard by the way.... Thanx for the insight!!

Reaction score
Hi Folks, got me a sour dough starter in my fridge, actually 2 containers: one for DISCARD other for frequent usage . I have apron. 2 cups of discard starter. whats the feed flour to water feed ratio for that amount?? Nice to be aboard by the way.... Thanx for the insight!!

Are you trying to use the discard to make another batch of sourdough?

If so, you can’t use volume measurement. You have to refer back to the ratios you were using.

For example, say you are currently preserving 75 g of the starter, then adding 100 g of flour, 110 ml water at a feeding.

If you don’t want to throw away the discard, you have to keep these ratios. So you have to weigh the starter.

The flour is 1.33 (133%) and the water is 1.66 (166%).

Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. So all I really got to keep around for a starter is probably a quart size jar correct?
I keep mine in refrigerator as I am gone most of the week.

Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. So all I really got to keep around for a starter is probably a quart size jar correct?
I I don't think but once or twice a week usually pizza dough baguettes. So I figure a quart size jar of starter should be sufficient? Thanks again for your insight!!

Reaction score

Yes a quart size jar is plenty. Now if you don’t want to waste all the discard from the feedings you can use it in some recipes. It’s not strong enough to leaven bread but you can use it in things like pancakes, crackers etc.

Ask a Question