Vegan Brownies!

Discussion in 'Vegan Baking' started by Evangelina, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Evangelina

Evangelina New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I've been lurking around these forums for a very long time but never joined.
    I have my own baking business and I've recently (IMO) perfected my vegan brownie recipe. My only issue is, since I sell these shrinkwrapped, sometimes after a day or two they seem to "sweat" oil.

My ingredients include pumpkin and vegetable oil (sometimes canola, sometimes coconut), so the oil is a little orange. It's harmless, of course, but it's not very pretty. Is there some reason why? Should I reduce the amount of oil I use? Does this happen for regular brownies?

Thanks!

Evangelina, Jan 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Evangelina

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Reducing the amount of oil will probably not stop fat separation. Fat separation and/or leaking is usually caused by inadequate emulsification. A standard brownie contains eggs to add fat and to emulsify the batter. In the absence of egg, you need an emulsifier replacement..

Brownies are a bit difficult to stabilize in general as they contain a lot of fat and less flour than cakes and cookies.

Adjust your emulsifier replacement. And/or consider adding other emulsifiers
    Two emulsifier replacements commonly used in vegan baking are soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin.

I don’t bake vegan. Only gluten free and regular baking. So I cannot speak to its performance in vegan applications. But soy lecithin definitely adds stability in gluten free and wheat baked goods.

Ive not used sunflower lecithin, so I can’t speak to its performance. From what I’ve read in trade journals, sunflower lecithin has a better nutritional profile. But sunflower lecithin performs a bit differently from soy, and can really effect texture.

Norcalbaker59, Jan 9, 2018
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Evangelina

Evangelina New Member

Fat separation! Thaaat's what it is! Thanks! I'll look into it

Evangelina, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Evangelina

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Brownies are notorious for fat separation. It either happens during baking and you end up with with a gooey fat layer, or it leaks after baking, and you have oily brownies. So it’s not just a strange quirk with you,

Norcalbaker59, Jan 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question