vegan "buttercream" recipes for piping flowers

Reaction score
Hello vegan bakers!
I have been trying to teach myself how to make cake decorations. Let's just say some of my attempts are better than others. I have a long way to go. My latest project involves learning how to pipe roses. So far, not so good. I've watched many youtube videos and still am having difficulty with this. Every time I try to make a rose on a flower nail, the icing falls off the nail. I'm thinking I don't have a good vegan icing recipe that will hold up while piping flowers. I've been using Country Crock plant butter sticks and Spectrum Organic shortening in equal amounts along with powdered sugar, vanilla, and a little bit of almond milk. The recipes I've found online thus far are very similar. If anyone has a sure fire vegan frosting recipe that will work with piping roses and other decorations, please share. Thanks!

Reaction score
Try just using shortening and make sure the icing is not to soft. It is a different consistency for decorating flowers than for icing the cake.

Reaction score
I'll give this a try. The shortening is rather soft, though, but maybe if I don't cut in the vegan butter, I might have a better result. Thanks, TSun, for answering.

Reaction score
Thanks, again Tsun. I'll look for high ratio shortening. Maybe that will do the trick!

Ask a Question