Help with Vegan Croissant Proving!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I come to you today once again defeated by my vegan croissant proving.
I tried this recipe:

(I brushed the top with a little bit of vegan cream right before baking, but otherwise, followed the recipe exactly)

And things were generally going very well! Until the proving.

This is an issue I encounter every time I make croissants - they expand outward during proving, becoming flat and wide. When I bake them, they stay that way, and are generally a bit spongey rather than flakey (I've been thinking this is from the dough compacting as it widens, instead of rising up, but if it's something else, would love to know that too haha).

Any advice for a novice who can't quite get the hang of proving?

PXL_20211029_082343153.MP.jpg

Reaction score
the flour is too weak, try to get some high gluten flour.
it will make a big difference in volume and eliminate spreading, the weak flour you have is more suited for danish.

Reaction score
Thanks retired baker! I think I have the highest protein flour in my grocery store - the nutrition label reads 13 g protein. Would you suggest something even higher than that? Or is gluten and protein not actually the same? :oops::)
the flour is too weak, try to get some high gluten flour.
it will make a big difference in volume and eliminate spreading, the weak flour you have is more suited for danish.

Ask a Question