How to Make Vegan Piña Colada Cake

Reaction score
A while ago I posted a recipe for Coconut Cream cake, which is an egg free recipe. I decided to adapt the recipe for my vegan friend, and I decided to add in a few other flavours to make it a Piña Colada cake!

Here's the recipe (adapted from Coconut Cream Cake).

Cake ingredients:
140g coconut oil (solid, at room temperature)
140g golden caster sugar
160ml coconut cream
85g fine or medium polenta
2 level tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
140g plain flour
50g desiccated coconut
Around 6 pineapple slices

To decorate:
4 tbsp icing (powdered) sugar
2 tbsp rum
2 golden caster sugar
Desiccated coconut (around 4 tbsp)

1. Preheat oven to 180C / gas 4 / fan oven 160C, and line an 18cm cake tin
  2. Cream together the coconut oil and 140g golden caster sugar, and then add the other cake ingredients apart from the pineapple slices.
  3. Arrange the pineapple slices in the bottom of the cake tin, and pour the cake batter over the top.
  4. Bake in the oven for around 55 minutes, until it comes away from the sides of the tin slightly and a skewer comes out clean.
  5. After the cake has cooled a little, turn it out of the tin upside down so that the pineapple is now on the top. Allow to cool.
  6. Meanwhile add the 2 tbsp of rum and 2 tbsp of caster sugar to a small pan and bring to a gentle boil until you have a golden syrup. You don't want it too thick. Brush the syrup over the top of the cake.
  7. Mix the 4 tbsp icing sugar with a little water until you have a good consistency - you want it thin enough to spread easily but thick enough so that it doesn't run down the cake. Spread it around the outside of the cake (not on the top) and pat the desiccated coconut on to it.
This cake certainly had some good feedback - don't expect it to hang around for long! ;) I used some chunks of coconut for decoration too - the chewy type you can mix into muesli.

Vegan pina colada cake.jpg

Vegan pina colada cake top.jpg

Reaction score
Looks delicious! Coconut oil is one of the best ingredients for raw vegan desserts in my experience. It's not just healthy, but adds an incredible flavor as well.

Reaction score
I didn't actually get a chance to try it - it was a birthday cake for a friend, and I thought it would be a bit rude to eat any before I gave it to her! It had really good feedback though - she and her family (4 people in total) ate the whole thing in one sitting!! And her dad is quite anti-vegan, so if he liked it then mission accomplished :)

I'm looking forward to doing it again so that I can try some! :D

Reaction score
This looks amazing and i bet it tastes better; i a have a weakness to any recipe that has coconut incorporated .

Reaction score
Yum! Honestly, pineapple and coconut are two of my absolute favorite flavors in the world -- so this would be a massive hit with me, I'm sure. I'm copying the recipe down and hopefully I'll have a chance to make it either this weekend or next. Thanks so much for sharing, and for the delicious looking pictures which definitely sold me on how good the cake must be!

Reaction score
Yum! Honestly, pineapple and coconut are two of my absolute favorite flavors in the world -- so this would be a massive hit with me, I'm sure. I'm copying the recipe down and hopefully I'll have a chance to make it either this weekend or next. Thanks so much for sharing, and for the delicious looking pictures which definitely sold me on how good the cake must be!

Same here about the flavours. I love them both. I doubt I will get around to making this anytime soon. Right now I am about easy peasy recipes and I don't put that in that category. What is polenta anyway? I had to go Google it. The pictures are 'delicious looking' indeed.

Ask a Question