Vegtable Oil or Butter?

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of recipes these days replacing butter with vegtable oil, although I think it may be a good alternative for vegatarians, I do prefer to cook/bake with butter as I prefer the taste. I find it less greasey. I simply just melt the butter dwn to fit the ML of oil that is required.

What does everyone else prefer?

Reaction score
It depends on what I'm making. When I first learnt about substituting butter for oil, I used it in everything and while it gave the perfect texture, the taste was a bit odd. Now I only tend to use it if I'm making chocolate cake, as the choclate disguises the taste, and there is nothing better than a really gooey chocolate cake! For vanilla-based recipes, cupcakes and cookies though, I use butter.

Reaction score
I actually haven't used this type of substitution much; I usually just use whichever the recipe calls for. Something I have tried, though, is pie crust made from oil, rather than using shortening. Works pretty well, once you get the hang of it, and tastes good too.

Reaction score
I have never used shortening. I don't like the taste of it which is a shame as the pie crust would be much better with it.
I noticed that when I used Betty Crocker cake mix that it used an awful lot of oil and it tasted like an oil slick. I stopped buying them once I had the confidence to start from scratch but now and again I come across oil based recipes.

Reaction score
I pretty much follow the recipes as stated. If they ask for oil I use oil and the same with butter. Not too many of the recipes I use require oil so I can't really talk too much about the difference it adds to the baked good. As a matter of fact, i can't remember the last recipe that called for oil.

Reaction score
Normally I will follow the recipe as stated. I do prefer to use butter or olive oil over vegetable oil. I find that butter tastes better and usually olive oil is better for you.

Reaction score
I follow the recipe exactly and use what the recipe calls for. If I'm making a cake, I don't try to make it healthier. If I wanted something healthy, I wouldn't be baking a cake.

Reaction score
I use vegetable oil if i'm doing microwave cookies. Anything else, i'll use butter unless it requires vegetable oil specifically.

Reaction score
I use vegetable oil if i'm doing microwave cookies. Anything else, i'll use butter unless it requires vegetable oil specifically.

Microwave cookies? I'm interested in hearing about that. I've never learned how to actually cook in my microwave! I use it for defrosting, reheating and melting chocolates, etc.

Reaction score
I would rather use butter in all of my baking, but I if I don't have butter I will use the oil. I guess it depends on the baker which to use.

Reaction score
A strange question but if you run out of butter or veg oil, has anyone tried olive oil? I know it sounds weird but I wondered if anyone had noticed any difference in taste

Reaction score
A lot of the time I substitute oil for butter, though recently I've found that to get the best results I need to use slightly less oil than the amount of butter it calls for. For instance, if it calls for half a cup of butter, I'd use maybe a third a cup of oil, instead of substituting it ratio for ratio.

Reaction score
Always butter, it looks, smells, and tastes different to me.

Unless I don't have any handy, then I'll use whatever because I'm lazy that way ;)

I have used olive oil once or twice, I'd say it's less sweet?

Ask a Question