victoria sponge cake

Reaction score
Hi, I'm baking a victoria sponge using the 'all in one method' (NOT the creaming method) and also with stork (tub) and normally my cakes turn out well, but twice recently I have had problems so I would like to ask two qs.

1) Can I use the stork margarine (the one in the tub) straight from the fridge or am I meant to leave it out for while?

2) I'm using the mary berry recipe (4 large eggs, 225g butter/marg, sugar, SR flour + 2tsp baking powder)- with a electric hand mixer how long exactly should I be mixing the batter. Its says to mix until well combined and not to overmix but I'm afraid that is exactly what I'm doing. Also, its says to a 'soft dropping consistency'- however for me at the end the batter does drop off a spoon but not so easily/quickly (i.e. it seems a bit heavy still)- should I add water or milk in that case. Will it affect the final outcome. (I tend to use the lowest speed setting on my mixer as I find that even the 1- setting is fast enough).

Any replies or helpful hints much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Katieandrews143. I should probably be the last to offer any advice and I don't have my full credentials in baking. I am learning as I go along. That said, I like you have an interest in baking a sponge cake. I was interested as I figured it would be a simple cake. After I realized that like most cakes things could go a little wrong I have to confess I have had some second thoughts about trying one. Since you brought the subject up I decided to look it up as I could not speak from experience.

The is not Victoria's sponge but Anne's sponge taken from the net and my way of saying welcome to the forum. Here's hoping we both benefit from the link below. The other veterans can weigh in with more expert advice.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Easy-Sponge-Cake

Reaction score
Hi there, Katie! I'd first like to address your first question, I'll try to talk from my own experience and tell you that I always use room temperature butter. As for the mixing, you need to stop mixing once you notice your mix doesn't have any lumps anymore (very quick actually), that is what I do! You don't need to mix for too long, specially when you are working with a mixer. As for the consistency, no, a little bit of water or milk won't affect the outcome, as long as you don't exaggerate. If you feel like the mix will need a bit more liquid, then add it before you start mixing.

Reaction score
I thought I might try a sponge this weekend but I didn't. I was not feeling very energetic and to fail when I am down is no good for me. Granted, I should not go in thinking I will fail but after reading this thread a sponge cake seems to require some attention to detail. I'll have look at the link I provided again and combine it with Trellum's personal expertise and go for a winner hopefully this week.

Reaction score
I thought I might try a sponge this weekend but I didn't. I was not feeling very energetic and to fail when I am down is no good for me. Granted, I should not go in thinking I will fail but after reading this thread a sponge cake seems to require some attention to detail. I'll have look at the link I provided again and combine it with Trellum's personal expertise and go for a winner hopefully this week.
Hi Katie.. you need to mix the butter/stork & sugar for a good while (all ingredients are best at room temperature) but don't overmix after this. I always add 3-4 tablespoons water and I found it always comes out perfectly! !

Reaction score
Even though I see the advice, I still think I am afraid of sponge cakes. I still have not made the plunge. I have been playing it so safe with my baking these last months. All I have been baking are my sure bets - scones, banana bread and those easy things.

Ask a Question