Vintage recipes

Reaction score
Hi, I've just inherited a little black book full of industrial size cake bakes from my grandfather-in-law - all handwritten from the 1920s-50s. Does anyone know what satinette might be in a recipe? I'm guessing is a form of flavouring, possibly alcohol as its in 'Wine Cajes', madeira and Christmas cakes. Any help would be great. Once I've figured out the ingredients, I can reduce the weights and measures and then I want to bake all of them. Thank you

Reaction score
Hi, I've just inherited a little black book full of industrial size cake bakes from my grandfather-in-law - all handwritten from the 1920s-50s. Does anyone know what satinette might be in a recipe? I'm guessing is a form of flavouring, possibly alcohol as its in 'Wine Cajes', madeira and Christmas cakes. Any help would be great. Once I've figured out the ingredients, I can reduce the weights and measures and then I want to bake all of them. Thank you
Fabric.

Reaction score
I'm not sure it is, as there are weights next to it in each recipe. I did discover an old American patent for satinette which described it as 'for combination of fruit and flavour mixtures' but that didn't clarify exactly what it is.

Reaction score

Don’t know. But keep in mind when baking vintage recipes you have to research the types of ingredients that were available and in use at the time and in the region. Was the flour beached or unbleached? This will make a significant difference in final product.

If he was in the Southern US, a recipe with molasses would not be blackstrap as Southerners use it for animal feed and other secondary uses.

Cane sugar was more common; it matters since sugar beet sugar doesn't caramelize.

These are just a few examples of the issues with ingredients when working with a vintage recipe.

Edit: the Getty Museum in LA might be able to help you. Some years ago I took several cooking classes there with a art and food historian. As a food historian she was very knowledgeable about ingredients. The woman who taught the classes also taught at the Italian Cultural Institute.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you - a good point! I've already discovered that Veltex is similar to Crisco, so just have to keep my fingers crossed that the cakes turn out right

Ask a Question