Vita Bar?

Reaction score
Not sure..I'm trying to find out. Apparently it was used in an old sub roll recipe.

Have a pretty extensive knowledge of baking science and ingredients. I’ve never heard of vita bar.

Is this recipe translated from another language?

Could you post the recipe or link to the recipe? I’m intrigued.

The first thought that comes to mind though is vital gluten given that it’s a bread recipe. Bread is flour, water, leavening (yeast or starter), and salt.

The only additives routinely added to commercially produced bread are vital gluten or diastatic malt powder. Both are dough conditions.

Most commercially produced flours in the US already contain diastatic malt powder. It’s normally made from barley, so it’s listed as malted barley flour on the ingredients label.

Vital gluten is a concentrated form of wheat protein. Essentially wheat flour with the starches removed. Since it is almost pure gluten, just a small amount increases dough strength. It’s frequently used in recipes that contain a lot of high extraction flour, such as whole wheat, or a naturally low gluten flour like rye.

For recipes scaled for the home baker, typically a tablespoon or two is all that’s needed.

In the US vital gluten is readily available from Bob’s Red Mill.

But of course vital gluten is just a guess on part.

Reaction score
I actually found out it is a preserve . The recipe also calls for bromite which I found many substitutes for.
I just found out wnat vita bar was today. I can now find a substitute for that as well.
I will post the recipe once I find the perfect substitute s for those 2 ingredients.

Reaction score
I actually found out it is a preserve . The recipe also calls for bromite which I found many substitutes for.
I just found out wnat vita bar was today. I can now find a substitute for that as well.
I will post the recipe once I find the perfect substitute s for those 2 ingredients.

The vast majority of preservatives are only available to the trade. There is a source in the US that makes a few preservatives and additives available to the retail market. I don’t know if they sell the preservative you identified as vita bar. It’s called the modernist pantry. I’ve purchased some obscure items like mono and diglyceride, ultratex and expandex from them.

Since it’s a preservatives, you don’t need a substitute if you’re strictly baking this as a home baking project.

When you say “bromite”, are you talking about potassium bromide? Potassium bromide is a dough strengthener. Because of a link to cancer in lab rats studies, it has been banned in a number of countries including the United Kingdom, Canada, and China. In the United States the FDA simply issued a warning and recommended that bakers stop using it. So most mills stopped adding bromide to their flours.

In the state of California it falls under a known carcinogen. So any food containing it has to be labeled with a carcinogen warning label.

Reaction score
Yes that same bromite.
Dependox is one of the replacement s I'm looking at.
We are a retail/wholesale bakery.

If you’re in the US, for commercial production advice, try calling Keith Giusto Bakery Supply in Petaluma California. The Giusto family has been involved in bakery and milling for four generations. Keith Giusto and his nephew are expert bakers. His nephew has completed in the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie. So they know bread.

Reaction score
If you’re in the US, for commercial production advice, try calling Keith Giusto Bakery Supply in Petaluma California. The Giusto family has been involved in bakery and milling for four generations. Keith Giusto and his nephew are expert bakers. His nephew has completed in the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie. So they know bread.

Ask a Question