Wanted: 1960s Stork Christmas cake recipe

Reaction score
I'm a novice baker and have offered to bake the family Christmas cake this year.
For as long as any of our family can remember my mum has baked a Christmas cake from a Stork recipe book - she sent off for with coupons in the late 60's, early 70's. She tried other recipes but always came back to this one.
She passed away in May this year and I'm hoping to carry on the tradition, unfortunately we can't find the book anywhere - it was held together with tape and pages missing so she may have chucked it as she knew the recipe by heart.
Bit of a long shot but would anyone recognise this or have it hidden in the back of a cupboard somewhere? I've contacted Stork and they never responded.
Apologies for long post x

Reaction score
I am unaware of the name, as I've never heard it before.

You can find pretty much anything on Ebay and Amazon nowadays.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Stork-Margarine-Cookery-Service/dp/B0012GSJH2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Art-Of-...378905?hash=item1ec1ad4c99:g:PaMAAOSwOgdYpcw6

Thank you. It must be a UK brand (it's a type of margarine)
This is the exact one.
Everyone used to save the couponsame from the side of the tubs to get recipe books and cards.

I had looked on amazon but had no luck.

What a great find.
X

Reaction score
Wirrick, I'm so sorry for your loss. And yes, you must make this cake, it will I think be therapeutic for you all.

Stork the British brand of margarine, yes? (For us Americans) I found their current site and it seems to have more contemporary recipes on it. However, it does look like someone scanned a couple of Christmas cake recipes from an old cookbook (just guessing from the look of it, but it doesn't look like the older 1940s edition) - would you recognize it by sight?
http://bibliocook.com/wp-content/up...k-Christmas-cookery-booklet-p2-3-page-001.jpg

This was the main listing as there were several other items: http://bibliocook.com/2013/12/christmas-baking-with-stork-2/

I went through a similar search some years ago for a cookbook that many of my older relatives had, a Slovak-American cookbook with a green cover. I ended up finding one on eBay or Amazon, I can't remember which. It was funny to note that only some of the recipes were really what I would think of as Slovak ethnic foods; many were just foods that were popular in the 1950s and such. I don't see "Christmas Baking with Stork" on either site, I'm afraid. I did find a place where it looks like you can download a PDF copy of it, but i don't know whether that's a legit site and would not like for either one of us to have computer issues because of it.

Best of luck,

Ann

Reaction score
Is this it?

Attachments

• IMG_4173.JPG
    IMG_4173.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 2,251
Reaction score
I'm a novice baker and have offered to bake the family Christmas cake this year.
For as long as any of our family can remember my mum has baked a Christmas cake from a Stork recipe book - she sent off for with coupons in the late 60's, early 70's. She tried other recipes but always came back to this one.
She passed away in May this year and I'm hoping to carry on the tradition, unfortunately we can't find the book anywhere - it was held together with tape and pages missing so she may have chucked it as she knew the recipe by heart.
Bit of a long shot but would anyone recognise this or have it hidden in the back of a cupboard somewhere? I've contacted Stork and they never responded.
Hi I've come online to search this "Stork" recipe book and found myself here. I used this recipe for my wedding cake, mixing up the fruit ingredients to my taste guides by weights. You don't have to use Stork. It's a few years later but here it is! I hope this finds you and brings back happy memories.

Attachments

• 20201029_084345.jpg
    20201029_084345.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 20201029_084338.jpg
    20201029_084338.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 20201029_084401.jpg
    20201029_084401.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Did you ever find the recipe? I’ve only just come across your post! I have a copy taken before my mum’s recipe book fell to bits as it too was held with tape x

Reaction score
Hi I've come online to search this "Stork" recipe book and found myself here. I used this recipe for my wedding cake, mixing up the fruit ingredients to my taste guides by weights. You don't have to use Stork. It's a few years later but here it is! I hope this finds you and brings back happy memories.
Yes it brings back memories of when I was at school. I will be doing this rich fruit cake . Did this as a Christmas cake in 1975.

Sal

Reaction score
Yes. That’s the original recipe. It was always used in school as the pupils would use all different sizes of tins! It always turned out great.

Ask a Question