Wanted: cookie recipes from around the world!

Reaction score
Experimenting with new cookie recipes is one of my favorite things to do, and I'd like to expand my repertoire to include more cookies from other countries. Please share a cookie recipe native to or symbolic of your country, or a country your ancestors were from! (Or just a country you like, I'm not going to be picky) :)

Reaction score
I'm from Scotland, and our most traditional biscuit is shortbread. It's so easy to make and totally delicious. This is a recipe from the BBC:

125g/4oz butter
55g/2oz sugar, plus extra for dusting
180g/6oz plain flour

You simply cream the butter and sugar together, then stir in the flour. You then roll it out to be about 1cm thick and can either cut it into fingers, circles, or just put it in a round tin and cut it into traingular slices once it's cooked. Sprinkle it with the extra sugar, chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, then cook for 15-20 minutes at 190c/375f/gas mark 5. Et voila!

It's also good with chocolate added. In fact, I would say I prefer chocolate chip shortbread to the plainer kind!

Reaction score
I'm from Scotland, and our most traditional biscuit is shortbread. It's so easy to make and totally delicious. This is a recipe from the BBC:

125g/4oz butter
55g/2oz sugar, plus extra for dusting
180g/6oz plain flour

You simply cream the butter and sugar together, then stir in the flour. You then roll it out to be about 1cm thick and can either cut it into fingers, circles, or just put it in a round tin and cut it into traingular slices once it's cooked. Sprinkle it with the extra sugar, chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, then cook for 15-20 minutes at 190c/375f/gas mark 5. Et voila!

It's also good with chocolate added. In fact, I would say I prefer chocolate chip shortbread to the plainer kind!

I love shortbread and it's easiness to make. We also use this recipe and i'm sure my mum uses this one too. I've never tried anything but the plain kind of shortbread, may try it with chocolate chip too!

Reaction score
here's the recipe of my country's famous cookie also known as " Biscuit champagne"

Ingredients:
125 g salted butter
45 g icing sugar
135 g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
Method:
1. Cream butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add icing sugar and sifted flour-fold in.
3. Add vanilla and almond extracts and beat well until creamy.
4. Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
5. Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
6. Pipe into swirls or whatever shape you feel like.
7. Bake at 150°C for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
8. Leave to cool for 5 mins before you try to yank them off the cookie sheet. Store in an airtight jar.
Ps: you might want to freeze your cookies for about 15 mins before placing them in the oven. This will help in holding their shapes better.

Reaction score
I love shortbread and it's easiness to make. We also use this recipe and i'm sure my mum uses this one too. I've never tried anything but the plain kind of shortbread, may try it with chocolate chip too!
Thank you for posting. I have never made shortbread but gave some (store made) to a friend in a "care package" I sent (she doesn't cook or bake much). She loved the shortbread but I am thinking she would really love it home made. I will include some plain and some chocolate (which I was not familiar with). Great idea and thanks for the recipe.

Reaction score
Experimenting with new cookie recipes is one of my favorite things to do, and I'd like to expand my repertoire to include more cookies from other countries. Please share a cookie recipe native to or symbolic of your country, or a country your ancestors were from! (Or just a country you like, I'm not going to be picky) :)
Almost forgot to thank you for starting this thread. What a great idea and some wonderful responses.

Reaction score
I live in Wales, Im not Welsh but my favourit are Welsh cakes or Welsh cookies as they are known in the USA http://allrecipes.com/recipe/welsh-cookies/
I like to make mine with raisins and chocolte as well. There was a lady who made them fresh for you in my local market and she add orange and white chocolate to them as well. They are best eaten warm yum yum

Reaction score
This is not a cookie recipe but it's a South African treat that we have with our tea or coffee. And in my culture we have them on a Sundy morning. They are delicious oblong spiced doughnuts sticky with syrup. This is so South African it is not even funny. Enjoy!
This recipe is from http://withablast.blogspot.com/2013/01/cape-malay-koeksisters.html
the spices scare you, keep the ginger and cinammon they are the core flavours of the koeksister doughnd in the syrup keep the cinammon stick. I also like to add some lemon juice to the syrup for a lighter flavour.
Oh yes, the dough freezes nicely so you can divide the dough and freeze. Typically I will leave some in the fridge. If I have guests over, or I just feel for some koeksisters, I will quicklly fry them (takes about 2-3 minutes) dunk it into some syrup that I have left in the fridge that I quickly warm up, and sprinkle some coconut over. Delicious. Doing it like this for a guest won't take more than ten minutes, while you make tea.
Cape Malay Koeksisters
Dough
3 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1 t Salt
2 t Ground Ginger
1 t Ground Cinnamon
2 t Ground Anise
1 t Cardemom, husks removed and grounded
2 t Tangerine Peel, finely grated
3/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 Egg
1 1/2 cups Milk
1 1/2 cups Warm Water
1 TB Active Dry Yeast
1 t Sugar
Oil for deep-fry
Syrup
2 1/4 cups Sugar
1 1/2 cups Water
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Cardamom Pods, husks removed and grounded
2 cups Coconut
1.) Place the Flour, Self-Raising Flour, Sugar, Salt, Ginger, Cinnamon, Anise, Cardemom and the grated Tangerine Peel in a large bowl - mix to combine - add the Oil, rub into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
2.) Mix the Milk and Water - divide into two smaller bowls - add the Yeast and Sugar to the one bowl and stir until dissolved - add the Egg to the other bowl, with the remaining Milk/Water mixture - beat well.
3.) Add first, the Milk/Water/Yeast to the Flour mixture, stir - add the Milk/Water/Egg also to the Flour mixture - mix until you have a soft dough - cover and leave 2 hours to rise {double in size}.
4.) Roll out the dough {on a floured base} to an approximate 5 centimeters {2 inch} thickness - cut into small squares - 2 1/2 centimeters {1 inch} - cover and leave to rise another 30 minutes.
5.) Boil the Sugar, Water, Cinnamon stick and Cardemom together until the Sugar has dissolved - this syrup must be kept warm all the time {not boiling, low heat - only to keep warm}.
6.) Heat the Oil for deep-fry to a medium heat - place a few pieces of dough in the Oil and fry 3 - 4 minutes until golden and cooked through - drain on paper towel and then dunk into the hot syrup for 30 seconds, turning and making sure the whole koeksister is covered, and some of the syrup has been absorbed.
7.) Finally, roll into the Coconut and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.

Ask a Question