Wedding Cake versus Birthday Cake

Do you prefer a wedding cake or birthday cake?

• Total voters
Reaction score
HLN.com has an ongoing vote on whether or not people prefer wedding cake over birthday cake. (Vote here.)

As for me, I am a big fan of birthday cake. It's usually less decorative and created for the purpose of eating. Wedding cake on the other tends to be mainly baked for beauty and not always taste.

Which do you prefer?

weddingCake-cascade.jpg
rainbow-birthday-cake.jpg

Reaction score
I have a different observation. In Puerto Rico, wedding cakes are made with a really great recipe, very different than birthday cakes. The icing is very good, too.
I am not sure about other countries, or types of wedding cakes, but I will eat a Puerto Rican wedding cake before any birthday cake out there. any day.

I have had some in the US, that had pudding flavor like filling that were superb too.

Reaction score
Well, long are the days gone where you have a pretty looking cake that taste bland. Now, whether the cake has to look pretty or not. The cake has to taste good and the flavors balanced while not overpowering.

I prefer birthday cake as they are generally simple in nature.

Reaction score
HLN.com has an ongoing vote on whether or not people prefer wedding cake over birthday cake. (Vote here.)

As for me, I am a big fan of birthday cake. It's usually less decorative and created for the purpose of eating. Wedding cake on the other tends to be mainly baked for beauty and not always taste.

Which do you prefer?

weddingCake-cascade.jpg
rainbow-birthday-cake.jpg

I agree with you. Wedding cakes do tend to be made for admiring and photographing. They don't taste as good as birthday cakes do.
My mother celebrated her birthday the day before my wedding several years back. Her birthday cake was so much better than my wedding cake the next day.

Reaction score
I would rather let my creative juices flow and make birthday cakes. They are a lot more fun to decorate with many colors and candles. It's always fun to work off of someones personality and make a fun cake that fits them on their birthday.

Reaction score
Personally, I love birthday cake! I love that I can decorate it and personalize it and just have fun with it. I can experiment with different colors and flavors and just have a blast baking, decorating and eating it! You will always have another birthday, so if your cake doesn't turn out exactly how you want it, you can try again the next year or do something different.
With a wedding cake, it's more about looks. It is for a one-time occassion. You want that one-time cake to be absolutely perfect. There is very minimual room for mistakes or expirmentation. You want it right and perfect the first time. You only have one chance! There is so much more pressure on a wedding cake than a birthday cake.
So for me, I would definitely prefer to make and eat a birthday cake. There is less pressure and you can have more fun with it.

Reaction score
I prefer birthday cake. It's more fun and casual, and it doesn't matter if you make a mess eating it. I don''t like things that are too formal.
Some wedding cakes cost $40,000 and it bothers me to see that much money wasted because my daughter and I could live on that amount for almost 2 years.

Reaction score
I haven't seen many wedding cakes I don't find tacky. I mean, in real life.. on the websites I've seen some absolutely beautiful cakes.. that takes some real talent, wow. But I wouldn't want to eat them!! How do people eat them?? I'd want to have them make it out of non-food things and I'd display it in my home like art lol. So yes, I prefer birthday cakes if I have to choose.. I don't like cake though, so give me a brownie instead ;)

Reaction score
I love the concept of Wedding Cakes, but birthday cakes you eat on a more regular basis; I believe this is also why people tend to prefer it. A birthday cake is usually not after a whole day of drinking and dancing and such.

With a birthday cake you have many options, ice cream with cake, just ice cream etc. I have never seen an ice cream wedding cake ( hmm a great idea LOL).

Reaction score
I think there are a lot of gorgeous wedding cakes out there, but they don't taste as good as birthday cakes to me. A lot of them are in really strange, so-called fancy flavors that simply aren't as good as more traditional tastes. I like birthday cakes with ice cream the best, but they can be beautiful as well!

Reaction score
I'm not a big cake person. But, I like birthday cake better. It seems you can do more with it and personalize it more. Now, with grooms cakes and the different sweets tables they're having at weddings now a days maybe wedding cakes can do the same, be more fun. I've seen some wonderful Harry Potter and Book wedding cakes.

Reaction score
I love wedding cakes because they taste like they're straight from the bakery. Birthday cakes to me can sometimes be too sweet and the icing taste like it has too much dye in it and it ends up tasting very bitter ruining the whole thing for me. Although birthday cakes can look fun the taste doesn't always match.

Ask a Question