Wedding Cakes

Reaction score
I have now been asked twice to bake a wedding cake. The last time was my DH's boss. I am petrified of baking a wedding cake o_O

I know I could pull off the actual baking, but my idea of frosting is whip it up and slap it on. I am so slapstick-i-don't-care, it is not even funny. My DH pointed out that in our town, people charge A LOT for wedding cakes. I coul probably make a decent living just from the wedding cakes.

Would you be brave enough to bake a wedding cake> And does anybody know where I could learn these techniques? And yes I do have nozzles, piping bags and all that. I can pipe a cake, but a WEDDING CAKE? UM?!!

Reaction score
I definitely would not be brave enough to do a wedding cake. The reason being because brides can be SO picky when it comes to their wedding day. They want everything to be exactly how they envisioned it, and if your image is different than theirs even by the slightest, it could create some bad blood. If you want to still go for it, I'd honestly look on Pinterest. It sounds crazy, but my friend has made some BEAUTIFUL wedding and birthday cakes with inspiration from there!

Reaction score
If I was a really good baker, I would at least give it a try. Why wouldn't you want to make a living from wedding cakes? If they're profitable then learn what it takes to make them so that you can line your pockets. There are actually hundreds of wedding cake tutorial videos on Youtube if you're willing to put the time into watching some of them.

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it personally since I don't have a steady hand to do all of the detailed frosting, especially if it is something like a fondant icing. Plus it would be nerve wrecking to try and transport it to the reception.

I was asked a few times to shoot some of my friends weddings as well (I majored in studio art with an emphasis in photography - but now work in marketing instead). I did two of them but I was a nervous wreck since I never shot them before and I was really young at the time. Personally I wasn't really pleased with the results, but they said they were happy.

Reaction score
I don't think I could do it, but my parent's 50th is coming up in February so I am going to practice. I hope to make a small round and then have either cupcakes for the guests or a large sheet cake to cut. Mom is wanting vanilla on vanilla so that is what I will try to experiment with. Scared!

Ask a Question