Weed Berry Muffins

Reaction score
I live in Colorado and I’m making some weed butter blueberry muffins. The recipe only calls for a 1/4 of butter but I want my muffins to really kick you in the butt. Does anyone have advice on how I can incorporate more butter into the recipe without ruining my muffins? I thought I’d be honest about why I’m trying to add extra butter, if it offends you that I’m making special muffins then move on and don’t comment. I am looking for baking advice. Not life advice.

Reaction score
I live in Colorado and I’m making some weed butter blueberry muffins. The recipe only calls for a 1/4 of butter but I want my muffins to really kick you in the butt. Does anyone have advice on how I can incorporate more butter into the recipe without ruining my muffins? I thought I’d be honest about why I’m trying to add extra butter, if it offends you that I’m making special muffins then move on and don’t comment. I am looking for baking advice. Not life advice.

No worries, no offense taken, at least not by me. I live in California so it’s legal here.

Baking is all science. It’s all about the ratios,
So I would need the following information

List of batter ingredients and the amounts; the ratio of all the ingredients to the flour is critical in baking.

The brand of flour you use; different brands of flour have different levels of proteins; protein levels affect the absorption rate. Butter contains water that is released when the butter melts during baking. How much butter you can add depends on the absorption of the flour. A higher protein flour will be able to absorb a lot more water

How do you measure your ingredients? Measuring by weight is the best way to bake, but if you measure by volume I need to know how you fill the measuring cup.

Dip the measuring cup in the flour and level it off?

OR

spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off?

The method used effects the weight. If I know how you are measuring the flour I can get a pretty good approximation of the amount of flour by weight. Which will allow me to calculate the ratios

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Jacqles! :)

A link to the recipe would be very useful. I have no personal experience with cannabutter, could you tell me a little more about the process?

@Norcalbaker59 is right in that if you're making substitutions you need to maintain the right balance in the recipe. We had a discussion recently on the forum about using browned butter instead of regular butter - basically browned butter is butter that has been heated so that the water evaporates away and cooks the milk solids. You end up with an ingredient that has a higher fat content than butter, it's slightly more concentrated. I'm wondering whether this process would work with cannabutter, or whether the cooking process would ruin some of the potency? Or maybe the process of making cannabutter has already got rid of the water content? Dunno. Like I say I have no personal experience here, this is just a stream of consciousness.

It would also be useful to know what other liquid ingredients are in the recipe. Many muffin recipes use yogurt or buttermilk as a substitute for fat because it makes them healthier, so maybe you could consider replacing them with the cannabutter if they're in your recipe?

Reaction score
Well I ended up making them from scratch. Quite frankly I think it went a heck of a lot better than the pre-packaged mix would have. So I actually answered my own question. Just use a different recipe!

Ask a Question