Weird flavors

Reaction score
So my king LOVED bananas. Yesterday, I wasn't done with dinner when he asked for one. I am pro-fruit when it comes to him so I gave him one. He ate half and left it on his plate. I finished dinner. We had dinner and as we finished his dad came home from work. He asked if he finished and my king said yes. He brought him nachos and cheese which he loves. He killed the nachos. LOLOL

After he was done I was going in for a shower and I tell my partner that he left a banana. I didn't want to throw it away so I told him to eat it. Then we see our king with the banana so I say 'never mind I guess he IS going to eat it." I walked away.. his dad then sounded sort of panicked and said 'what are you going to do? what are you doing? are you going to eat that? oh my god!' When I was going back down the hall I found his dad coming towards me with our king behind him.

Apparently, he took the banana, dipped it in the nacho's cheese, took a bite, and happily ate it. LOLOLOLOLOLOL It may be a kid thing but it got me thinking about weird combinations.

Looking online I found this link with different combinations for cupcakes. I tried the meat and mashed potatoes once. It's not realy a cupcake but cupcake shaped. It was so yummy. They also have beer and sauerkraut, parsnip and maple syrup, mango chili, among others.

I also found that there are some cakes made with banana ketchup which apparently is something from the Phillipines. Not surprising to me though because if my people made mayoketchup in a bottle, they can come up with banana ketchup. LOL I read ketchup is on the sweet side so the combination may sound weird but not very far off considering they are both sweet.

Reaction score
That was such a sweet story ;) Now I can see where the inspiration for that ''ketchup'' cake came from ;) Someone is feeling super inspired thanks to the recent happenings ;) I'm very conservative when it comes to desserts and cakes, I don't like strange flavors together, but my biological dad (I heard does). The only kinda ''weird'' combination I like is bacon and maple syrup or bacon and chocolate ;)

Reaction score
I don't eat chocolate but I really want my partner to taste bacon and chocolate. He loves them both but refuses to mix. LOL What I've been wanting to try but keep forgetting is pancake dipped bacon. Sounds soooooooo delish. But every time we get bacon, I cook it up and completely forget the pancake part. LOLOL

Reaction score
Hahaha, yeah, that is what happens with bacon ;) We always end up eating it all before we even realize of what we just did ;) I have had the chance to prepare those maple syrup pancakes (and add bacon) just a couple of times. My mom at first thought I was crazy, but I told her that is how they eat it far in the north ;) She is more traditional, so she wouldn't dare to try.

Reaction score
The salmon cupcakes on that link made my stomach churn!! There were some that sounded pretty good though - I thought liquorice and peppermint would be rather nice, but they are two pretty strong flavors so it's probably not one for everyone!

Reaction score
Hahaha, yeah, that is what happens with bacon ;) We always end up eating it all before we even realize of what we just did ;) I have had the chance to prepare those maple syrup pancakes (and add bacon) just a couple of times. My mom at first thought I was crazy, but I told her that is how they eat it far in the north ;) She is more traditional, so she wouldn't dare to try.
Bacon and corn "sorullitos" (little rolls?). Those are the ones that by the time I'm finished cooking them, I look at the plate to find about half. LOLOLOLOL

The salmon cupcakes on that link made my stomach churn!! There were some that sounded pretty good though - I thought liquorice and peppermint would be rather nice, but they are two pretty strong flavors so it's probably not one for everyone!
Yeah. They remind me of those flavors the contestants on Cupcake Wars came up with.

Reaction score
@ThatNewMommy I have never tasted those :O Corn sorullitos? They look like little corn dogs. Do you deep fry them? Gosh, I wish I could eat that right now :( I can understand why you little one loves them ;)

Reaction score
Well, if something is cupcake shaped but not a cupcake, I would not even see WHY it would not be a good as when it's not cupcake shaped! But the actual cupcake recipes I'm a bit wary of. My friends once tried batches of weird savoury cupcakes -- they were terrible. They brought it to school as a part of their project, so most of it went, but I'd never try this at home. I don't have an army to eat weird cupcakes!

Reaction score
I've definitely had a weird food combination (or rather I've come across it). My friend's dad loves his fries with mayo and mustard instead of ketchup, and one of the local cupcake stores in my area made this blackberry cupcake with a basil frosting topping. Strange indeed (but the cupcake was amazing so whatever they did was the right thing).

I'm not very adventurous with my food so I can't say I'm happy with mixing random things together, but the "oddest" I'll go is dipping my tempura in wasabi and soy sauce instead of the tempura sauce they give you when I go eat Japanese food.

Reaction score
@ThatNewMommy I have never tasted those :O Corn sorullitos? They look like little corn dogs. Do you deep fry them? Gosh, I wish I could eat that right now :( I can understand why you little one loves them ;)

Yes. They're are basically cornmeal mixed into boiling water to precook (you can add sugar to the water, but personally I don't). After the mixture cools down you form the little rolls, the "sorullitos". I sometimes make them flatter because I like to add some cheese inside and for some reason every time I try to make a roll, the cheese pops out of an end. LOLOLOL Then to the fryer. That's the classic way. Since we stopped frying..or MOSTLY stopped;)...I'll use some olive oil and pan fry them. Then as soon as they come out of the pan I put a little shredded cheese on top. (Yes, I add cheese to just about anything):rolleyes:

So goooood. a lot of people here like to eat them dipped in Mayoketchup. I prefer them as is.

Reaction score
Interesting! Gosh, it's so early in the morning right now, and I feel so hungry after reading your post! I love the sound of those sorullitos! I love fried stuff, but I suffer from IBS. I can still enjoy some fried stuff from time to time though ;) Gosh, your kind must have the best time when you are in the kitchen! I love the idea of adding cheese to everything ;)

Ask a Question