What are some of your holiday baking traditions?

Reaction score
It is not officially Christmas for me until I make those Hershey Kisses Peanut Butter cookies. They bring me back to my childhood when my mom used to make them for me. A new tradition over the past few years has been decorating a gingerbread house with my son who is six. I think this year my daughter will want in on the action, or at the very least she'll want to eat all the candy she can get her little hands on :oops:

I also make croissants for Christmas morning but have recently discovered that Trader Joes makes amazing croissants that you let thaw over night (they are pictured in my avatar)... hopefully no one notices that they aren't from scratch :D

Reaction score
I couldn't possibly narrow it down! lol. Starting right after halloween (I'm in Canada, so we're done with all other holidays etc until Christmas), I get in the spirit. I'm abnormal though; I don't know of anyone who gets all Christmas crazy as early as I do. Once I'm in the mood, I bake at least weekly. Some weeks, daily! lol. It's not just for my family, but I just love baking for everyone and it's the one thing that gets me in the spirit more than anything. Add to that the constant decorating and the music and I might as well move to the north pole. This year is a little different now that gluten is out.. I will likely be baking WAY less and with that and the loss of our pet, things aren't feeling quite the same yet; but I'll get there :)

So in short.. baking like a mad woman is my tradition. It just doesn't stop till Santa gets here!

Reaction score
Stained glass cookies & gingerbread men are a must....they bring me back to early christmases :). My boy loves making cinnamon ornaments for the tree, and they smell great hanging out there. We also like to find unique snowflake templates/ideas and have some to hang on the windows- star wars, angry birds, skull ones, you name it ;). We're also starting a more official night before Christmas box- we've always done the new jammies and one gift thing, but we're going to dress it up a little with new mugs & cocoa, a mini-movie marathon to watch and some popcorn =).

Reaction score
The one constant holiday backing tradition we have is always chocolate chip cookies. We made them since grandma and will continue to make it for future generations.

Reaction score
Mexican wedding cake cookies are an absolute must for me every Christmas. When I was a little girl I would make them with my mother. At the time I always called them "snowball cookies." They're a little bit plain but I just can't bear to go without eating them in the winter time!

Reaction score
Kolache, hungarian nut roll with raisins is a baking tradition. And the most sought after chocolate chip cookie.
LOL

Reaction score
My mom's side of the family comes over every year sometime before xmas, and we have a day dedicated to cookie baking. The main star is cut out sugar cookies that we later on frost and decorate, at least the kids do until they get bored, then it's back to the adults. Peanut butter blossoms are the next favorite followed by snickerdoodles. We make wreath "cookies" out of special K, and we dip pretzels in chocolate coatings as well.

Reaction score
We always have cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning :) And when I was younger we made and decorated sugar cookies as well as gingerbread houses.

Reaction score
It's not something I've been able to participate in, yet, but my mother and some of the older women in my family and their friends have a cookie swap. Everybody bakes a different type of cookie and they all get together to eat and swap them!

Reaction score
A feel like I also start Christmas baking a few days after Halloween! It's my favorite holiday and there are so many sweets and candies that I make that it's so hard to get them done in the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Reaction score
Fruit Cake is one of my oldest holiday baking tradition, Christmas would never be the same in my household without a traditional fruit cake with lots of wine...this is something can't envision as it would be a really dull holiday.

Reaction score
My daughter and I haven't really celebrated Christmas at our new apartment yet because we moved in right after Christmas, but I think I want to start baking gingerbread cookies because we really like gingerbread. Our previous place had a tiny kitchen so this will be my first Christmas where I have a big kitchen to bake in.

Reaction score
Christmas is not Christmas without Pumpkin pies and Sugar Creme Pies. Every year these are made and every year, my brother, sister and I make sure we have these at the gathering. Our kids look forward to making gingerbread houses and reindeer poop bags.

Reaction score
It is not officially Christmas for me until I make those Hershey Kisses Peanut Butter cookies. They bring me back to my childhood when my mom used to make them for me. A new tradition over the past few years has been decorating a gingerbread house with my son who is six. I think this year my daughter will want in on the action, or at the very least she'll want to eat all the candy she can get her little hands on :oops:

I also make croissants for Christmas morning but have recently discovered that Trader Joes makes amazing croissants that you let thaw over night (they are pictured in my avatar)... hopefully no one notices that they aren't from scratch :D
Christmas officially starts with us in my house when there is a homemade pumpkin pie in the oven and the Christmas tree and lights is being put up. No matter how much Christmas music, presents, unexpected guests, etc.. until that happens it's not yet Christmas.

Reaction score

It is a tradition in our home to bake Christmas cookies together as a family every year!!! We all decide on the kinds of cookies we want ( usually 4 different kinds) and then I shop for all the ingredients and we pick a night to bake. It's really fun because we have a wide age range in out house when it comes to the kids...8-19!!! You can probably imagine our kitchen that night!
We have made so many memories through the years... very blessed!!

Danyel :)

Ask a Question