What are your favorite Salad Toppings?

Reaction score
Since it is summer, I just had to ask this! For my salad I love to add, dried cranberries, crunchy red onions, avacado slices, and mandarin oranges. I also add a boiled egg and cooked turkey bacon once in a while. What do you put on your salad?

Reaction score
I like all the bad stuff, like bacon, croutons, cheese, creamy dressings, strips of chicken. By the time I get done making a salad, it barely qualifies as a salad anymore.

Reaction score
I just had salad for dinner tonight! We had a tossed salad with a variety of greens, cauliflower, broccoli, celery and carrots. I tossed on some real bacon bits, sunflower seeds, and some shredded cheese. (I'd have put some dried cranberries on top but I forgot I had them in the house! And I love it when we have fresh cucumbers!!) I cooked some chicken in Parmesan Italian salad dressing, diced it and topped the salad with it. Yum!!! This used to all be covered with a Ranch salad dressing but I switched to balsamic vinaigrette about a year ago. I love it!! Sometimes we also do hardboiled eggs or shrimp. I could eat a salad like that several days a week for dinner and not get tired of it!

Reaction score
I love fresh salads, and what I put in them depends on what I have available, and what I feel like eating. I often add garbanzo beans, or pickled beets to my salads, and fresh avocados when I have them.
If I have made macaroni salad, or even potato salad, I like to add a little of that on top of my green salad, sometimes.
I don't like jalapeño on it unless it is a taco salad, but I do like those sliced banana peppers on a salad.

Reaction score
Depends on the salad. I like shaved Parmesan cheese on arugula or romaine salad, some thick cut bacon and soft-boiled egg with butterhead lettuce, sweet corn kernels and avocado on spinach salad, goat cheese, or ricotta cheese on roasted beet salad, grapefruit and orange with shaved fennel salad, or just a plain tomato salad with basil and scallions, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Reaction score
I eat salads basically for the toppings, usually my "salad" is 90% toppings and 10% salad. There are many variations of salad, so the toppings I choose basically depend on the type of salad I am having. If I am having a basic tossed salad this is what I usually put on it: sunflower seeds, shredded or cubed cheese, croutons or tortilla strips, diced ham or shredded chicken, dressing, black olives, and shredded carrots and onions.

Reaction score
I like salads for the toppings also, the more the better, usually. One of my favorite places to go out for dinner is Ruby Tuesday, with their awesome salad bar. That is about all I need for a meal with all the great toppings that they have there.
Ryan's Buffet is a great salad place also. When I am making salads at home, one of my favorite things is fresh made sprouts. They are so easy to sprout, and taste so great on the salad. I think that fenugreek sprouts are my favorite, with their exotic taste.

Reaction score
Since it is summer, I just had to ask this! For my salad I love to add, dried cranberries, crunchy red onions, avacado slices, and mandarin oranges. I also add a boiled egg and cooked turkey bacon once in a while. What do you put on your salad?
I'm trying to cut down on all the bad stuff so that I can enjoy more cakes and cookies...ha!
So I'm sticking with chopped veggies and nuts. And a hardboiled egg if I need extra protein. Pepitas, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds all a nice crunch...

Reaction score
I eat salads basically for the toppings, usually my "salad" is 90% toppings and 10% salad. There are many variations of salad, so the toppings I choose basically depend on the type of salad I am having. If I am having a basic tossed salad this is what I usually put on it: sunflower seeds, shredded or cubed cheese, croutons or tortilla strips, diced ham or shredded chicken, dressing, black olives, and shredded carrots and onions.

That sounds like me. My salads are basically a meal and I put so much stuff in them that I don't even need an entree. The vegetable are basically in there for texture.

Reaction score
My salads should really be called "Clean out the fridge delight" or something like that. When I make a salad it is huge. I use up all the veggies I have in the fridge at the time, then I add olives, egg, hot peppers (jar), sunflower seeds, shredded cheese and sometimes tuna. As for dressing, I also use up what I have.

Reaction score
You all have such good ideas for salad toppings. I am going to make my own croutons by cutting up pieces of whole wheat bread, adding some olive oil and seasonings and baking that in the oven. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Reaction score
One of the salads that I really love is what my mother used to call "Hunters Salad". I have no idea why it had that name, as I certainly can't imagine hunters taking along salad mix when they are out there waiting for a deer to come sauntering past.
But regardless, the salad is delicious, and has been a favorite since I was a child, and it can be made either with or without lettuce.

It is a simple salad of either frozen or canned peas, and small cubes of cheese, and a bit of Miracle Whip mixed in for the dressing. I usually make it with lettuce, and shrimp if I have any, but it is delicious about any way you make it.

Reaction score
My salad consists of lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, raisins, croutons, cheese, bacon bits and sometimes pineapple chunks too. I am hooked on salads during the summer. Top all of that off with some buttermilk ranch or Catalina and I am good to go.

Reaction score
I love red onion in a salad! Red onion, iceberg lettuce, beetroot, cheese(i eat WAY too much cheese for my own good!), raddish, more lettuce... I rarely put meat in my salads unless it's in a sandwich of some sort.

I used to put sweetcorn in my salads, but since having braces, it gets annoying so i've stopped doing that.

Reaction score
I love red onion in a salad! Red onion, iceberg lettuce, beetroot, cheese(i eat WAY too much cheese for my own good!), raddish, more lettuce... I rarely put meat in my salads unless it's in a sandwich of some sort.

I used to put sweetcorn in my salads, but since having braces, it gets annoying so i've stopped doing that.

Now the idea of sweet corn is very interesting. Do you meal just small kernals of corn and did you use it fresh or was it from a can? My mind is whirling about possibly trying this with good sweet white corn. I am also not a big fan of meat in my salad.

Reaction score
Now the idea of sweet corn is very interesting. Do you meal just small kernals of corn and did you use it fresh or was it from a can? My mind is whirling about possibly trying this with good sweet white corn. I am also not a big fan of meat in my salad.

It was just small kernels and i've tried it fresh and from a can, both work well and taste good too. I hadn't thought about using white corn though!

Reaction score
It was just small kernels and i've tried it fresh and from a can, both work well and taste good too. I hadn't thought about using white corn though!

Oh yes the white corn can be a bit sweeter than the yellow corn. Give it a try. I will have to think about this for my salads as well.

Reaction score
I like all the bad stuff, like bacon, croutons, cheese, creamy dressings, strips of chicken. By the time I get done making a salad, it barely qualifies as a salad anymore.

I am right there with you on this one. I add so much stuff it is more like an entire dinner instead of a salad. I love adding a few nuts and berries in summer months as well but mostly it is bacon, chicken broccoli, onions, two or three different shredded cheeses, lettuce, tomato. black olives, green and red peppers, croutons, and a ton of ranch dressing.

Reaction score

Sometimes I am the exact same way. I do love my croutons and cheese and of course chicken strips makes it a meal!

Ask a Question