What Did I Do Wrong?

Reaction score
I tried making and baking bread from scratch a few weeks ago. To be honest, I've always avoided baking anything with yeast in it, but I thought I'd go ahead and make the plunge. My dough rose some but it didn't seem like it rose enough. When I baked the bread, it was very very dense and not soft and chewy at all. I was so disappointed because it smelled good and I was looking forward to eating it!

Reaction score
I tried baking homemade bread using a bread machine, and it worked very well years ago. I can't remember why it turned out so well, but, now I want to use the bread machine my daughter gave me, and see if I can make some gluten free breads in it. Great post topic!

Reaction score
Hi Marie,
Maybe your yeast was dead? If you have another packet from the same batch you should test it.
I hope this was the problem, because then it wasn't your fault and you will be encouraged to bake bread again!
I like your bunny ears.

Reaction score
Monkeyboots,

Thanks for the advice I do want to try baking bread again! How do I know if the yeast is dead? This was my first time ever using yeast. The bunny ears picture was a joke for my husband but it turned out to be a decent photo so I thought I'd use it. I like your dog, he looks sweet. I have 3 dogs myself.

Reaction score
Anything can affect a dough's rising:
Too much/not enough oil or flour,
Air temperature,
How long you let it rise,
all these things can make bread go flat, as well as the quality of your yeast. You may need to experiment a little.

Reaction score
Here is how to test the yeast:
To proof yeast, add 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F). Stir in 1 envelope yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons); let stand 10 minutes. If the yeast foams to the 1/2 cup mark, it is active and you may use it in your recipe. RapidRise™ yeast loses its fast rising capabilities if dissolved in liquid, and will require two complete rises.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely try bread making again. I didn't realize or know how to proof the yeast. I learn something new everyday!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with your banana bread, I agree that checking your yeast is a good idea. Hope you have better luck next time - let us know how it goes!

Reaction score
Yeast baking and I are not the best of friends, but I really want to get better/more confident.

Reaction score

Ask a Question