How to Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes at Home

Reaction score
I have seen nice creamy potatoes in the restaurants so i wonder how they smash it? Using mixer or something else?

Reaction score
I forgot what it's called but we used a hand crank-type of contraption where the holes in the bottom are a little larger than a colander. You place it over a bowl, put the potatoes in the contraption and turn the hand crank so it forces the potatoes through. You have to scrape it down the sides every once in a while, but it always turned out perfect mash. Then just add butter, cream, salt and nutmeg- Delicious!

Reaction score
I do it by hand. I bake the potatoes up, mix in a little sauteed onion, some sour cream and cheese (if I'm cooking for lactose tolerant folks) and then I bag all the ingredients and smash the bejeezus out of them. The secret is to use high quality zip-lock bags that don't bust when you bring down the meat tenderizer on it.

Reaction score
I do mine by hand as well. I cut them into 1/4 inch slices and boil them until soft. Drain them and mash by hand with a fork. I add milk for smoothness then add butter and seasoning.

Reaction score
When I am making mashed potatoes I will boil the potatoes first until they become very soft. I will then drain the potatoes in a strainer and add them into a large bowl when still hot. I add one stick of butter, half a cup of milk, salt, black pepper, and other spices to give it that unique flavor. This is one of the best ways to get your mashed potatoes tasting, delicious and creamy. You can either mashed the potatoes by using an electric mixer or by hand with a potato masher. Most of the time, I mash them by hands with the potato masher and it comes out smooth with no lumps. ;)

Reaction score
I used to do them by hand with a masher but even after adding some milk, butter and sour cream I could never get that creamy consistency. Now I start with a masher and finish them off with a handheld mixer on the lowest setting, I have to be careful to not turn the setting up because then the potatoes go from creamy to an almost glue like consistency.

Reaction score
I use an electric mixer. I personally prefer rather lumpy mashed potatoes, but my family hates them. they need them to be as creamy and smooth as possible or I hear complaints. I cook my potatoes well, drain them and add them to a bowl with lots of butter, a big scoop of sour cream, salt and pepper. Then I mix, mix, mix and mix a little more. Occasionally I toss in a little shredded cheese to change things up.

Reaction score
I tend to overcook the potatoes slightly when I boil them so that they fall apart when poked with a fork. I then do a rough smash with a handheld masher. After this I add milk, sour cream, and butter and finish the off with a handheld electric mixer. Mine always come out really creamy.

Reaction score
I mash my potatoes with a basic potato masher. Usually I use a plastic piece and work at it by hand. They come out creamy and delicious. :)

Reaction score
I really don't like creamy potatoes. I make something called smashed potatoes. I use a folk to partially smash the potatoes with butter. They have a lot of texture.

Reaction score
I smash my potatoes with a hand smasher that you get in the store for about four dollars. I prefer a little bit of chunkiness in my mashed potatoes.

Reaction score
I just use a metal potato masher and mash the potatoes by hand. I've heard that some people use a potato ricer but I don't like to have too many kitchen gadgets taking up space in my drawer. I can deal with a few lumps in my potatoes.

Reaction score
Much like everyone else, I just go for doing it by hand. Plastic potato masher, some soft potatoes and you're good to go. Add a little milk and butter in while you're mashing to get that really lovely flavour. Still can't get the consistency that my mum manages quite right though.

Reaction score
I sort of just mash them manually. I think it sort of tastes better when I do it myself because then I'd be able to control how much I mash it. A machine can't really be controlled, which can sort of lead to "over-mashing."

Reaction score
I use a stand mixer. It makes it so easy. I just throw the boiled potatoes, salt, butter, cream cheese, and spices in there all together and I've got mashed potatoes within minutes. Ree Drummond swears by a potato masher but I haven't noticed a difference and this is way less work!

Reaction score
I use a masher, if I don't have that then I use a fork. I suppose that if you like them creamy, then you can overboil the potatoes and put them in a blender.

I've heard that a ricer is actually pretty handy...though not, bafflingly, having to do anything with rice.

Reaction score
I like to use a simple mashing tool. You can get one at Dollar Tree or just about any dollar store. I usually take my time and do it while watching a video of some sort (tv episode, movie, etc.). If you're in a hurry you could use a food processor or something, but I prefer to avoid all the cleanup.

Reaction score
I use a potato ricer. First, I place the potatoes in the ricer, place over a bowl ,and then I squeeze the handles. Then I add butter and other flavorings. The result is nice creamy mashed potatoes.

Reaction score
I use a regular hand masher to mash them all up first, but then I use an electric mixer when I add the milk, butter or sour cream, or whatever combination of those I am using at the time. It's the mixer than makes them creamy and fluffy. Some restaurants call these kind whipped potatoes. I find that adding sour cream makes them creamier than just adding milk, but it's also more expensive.

Reaction score
I personally use one of these (but made of metal):

machucador-aplanador-apachurrador-frijol-frijoles-nku-09-393001-MLM20265378747_032015-F.jpg

We originally use this for beans, but I also use it for smashing potatoes and even for avocados when I want to make guacamole. It's a very useful tool :)

Ask a Question