What else have you used coconut oil for?

Reaction score
A couple years ago I discovered the wonders of coconut oil. Besides in baking, I use if as a skin conditioner. It works wonders on cracked hands! I've also used it place of traditional vegetable oil for stove top dishes. Perhaps, my most interesting use for coconut oil was to create a butter cream icing for a lactose intolerant friend's birthday cupcakes. It's such an amazing substitute! What else have you used coconut oil for?

Reaction score
I use coconut oil for a variety of things. Besides using it often in cooking, I make my own body moisturizer and I actually rinse my mouth with it a few times a week. It's an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for swollen gums and it leaves your mouth feeling very clean!

Reaction score
I've never heard of coconut oil used as a mouth rinse. Interesting! I wish I had of known this a couple weeks ago when I cut my gum on a tortilla chip. The gums at the back of my mouth were swollen for a couple days. I assume you dilute the coconut oil with warm water?

Reaction score
It's actually called "oil pulling" because the oil pulls bacteria and debris away from your gums. It can be quite relaxing because if forces you to sit for 10 - 15 minutes while you swish the oil around your mouth. If you Google the term, you'll find there is quite a lot of information available about it.

Reaction score
I'm afraid to use it on my skin because I don't want to break out. I love to use it to condition my hair, though. I've heard a lot about oil pulling and have thought about doing it, but I have always wondered if it was a sham.

Reaction score
I also use it for oil pulling. It's a great way to remove toxins not only from your mouth but over time it improves the overall health of you entire system. It will relieve minor tooth pain as well since it immediately removes part of the infection of an abstract tooth.

Reaction score
A couple years ago I discovered the wonders of coconut oil. Besides in baking, I use if as a skin conditioner. It works wonders on cracked hands! I've also used it place of traditional vegetable oil for stove top dishes. Perhaps, my most interesting use for coconut oil was to create a butter cream icing for a lactose intolerant friend's birthday cupcakes. It's such an amazing substitute! What else have you used coconut oil for?
I cut off my hair (1/8in) and went completely natural in Jan 2013. The newness was extremely infuriating for me. It always seems so 'hard', 'rough'. I searched and searched for different things to soften it, and accidentally found 'coconut oil'. It didn't do what I was hoping, but the sheen after my rinse was so nice I started adding it to ALL my conditioners. I still do, and my hair is now shoulder length straightened.

Reaction score
Like a lot of you already said in this thread, I use it as a moisturizer and hair treatment. As for actual consumption, I add it to my coffee. I also use it for low-carb sweet recipes. For a quick "faux Reeses" fix, I combine coconut oil, peanut butter, and cocoa powder in a small glass bowl and microwave it until it all melts together. Stir it, let it cool, and you've got yourself a sweet treat :D

Reaction score
I use coconut oil for numerous things. The uses of the oil are pretty endless. I love to use coconut oil as a makeup remover, sun tanning lotion, acne treatment, and moisturizer. I also like to use the oil for cooking, of course.

That reeses treat sounds delicious rainbou!

Reaction score
I love coconut oil!. I've used it in brownies, cookies, my hair and scrubs. If you have a dry patch of skin, rub a little coconut oil on it and it will moisturize it to no end. It has some amazing uses and I've been researching a lot about it. Pinterest has a whole list of uses that are very beneficial!

Reaction score
I have a passion for coconut oil! I have several coconut trees in my backyard. I don't buy coconut oil from the supermarket because I do it myself. I use coconut oil all the time when I am cooking. When it comes to this oil you can do lots with it. Like rubbing it on your skin, adding it into your food for flavor, use as a hair softener, and it can be used for removing toxins in the body. (1 tbs three times a day) ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I actually use coconut oil more for frying chicken than I do for baking. For baking, I tend to use butter whether that be room temperature or melted. Coconut oil has been great for frying chicken though and its a health(ier) alternative to vegetable oil. I also like coconut oil for chapstick and to put on my stretch marks. I've also heard that eating (or melting it into a drink) 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day will help cut down on belly fat and also keep your from gaining anymore. I do not know if this is true but with all the other health benefits of coconut oil, I would not be surprised one bit.

Reaction score
I've also heard that eating (or melting it into a drink) 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day will help cut down on belly fat and also keep your from gaining anymore. I do not know if this is true but with all the other health benefits of coconut oil, I would not be surprised one bit.

This is very interesting. I am going to do some research on this!!

I use coconut oil on my hair and skin. It works wonders on dry cracked heels. My heels just get some dry. It can be a struggle to keep them looking good. I had noticeable improvement after a week.

I also use coconut milk on my hair. It works as a wonderful moisturizer.

Reaction score
If you Google "benefits of coconut oil," then you will find endless lists! I still have yet to try the two tablespoons a day so you will have to let me know if you try it out! Its hard to imagine that ingesting oil will cut down on fat but you never know!

Reaction score
Like a lot of you already said in this thread, I use it as a moisturizer and hair treatment. As for actual consumption, I add it to my coffee. I also use it for low-carb sweet recipes. For a quick "faux Reeses" fix, I combine coconut oil, peanut butter, and cocoa powder in a small glass bowl and microwave it until it all melts together. Stir it, let it cool, and you've got yourself a sweet treat :D
OMG!!!! I never knew ANYTHING about coconut oil....Doesn't your coffee get oily?
I can't wait try your Reeses recipe....how much coconut oil, peanut butter and cocoa powder to use?

Reaction score
I have never used coconut oil in anything. When I was a child I used to hear about it being used in your head and heard the smell was not great. I read that someone makes their own? Amazing. We had coconuts trees when I was a child. Who knew?

Reaction score
I use coconut oil for baking as well as for greasing frying pans. The only thing I don't like to use it for is fried eggs. For some reason butter is the only thing that will really work and let my eggs come out nice and neat. Otherwise, I am a big fan of coconut oil and try to use it as my primary oil.

Reaction score
I also use it for oil pulling. It's a great way to remove toxins not only from your mouth but over time it improves the overall health of you entire system. It will relieve minor tooth pain as well since it immediately removes part of the infection of an abstract tooth.
Is there any scientific and research backing done on oil pulling though? I've definitely seen it around the internet before but I'm a little bit of a skeptic.

But regardless, I use coconut oil for homemade sugar scrubs! It's my husband's guilty pleasure; he loves to use it after he shaves :)

Reaction score
I have used coconut oil on my skin when it is very dry, but have not tried it in my hair yet. For my hair I lean toward olive oil since it is in a liquid form. I do not cook much with coconut oil because it has the distinct taste of coconut and find that it does not pair well with many foods. I have to be in the mood for coconut in order to eat anything that has coconut flavoring.

Reaction score
I had read and heard that coconut oil had many uses and health benefits too. But I am not yet tried using it in my cooking and baking.

I am just using coconut oil in my hair and it do really wonders for my hair making it thick, color black, soft and shiny. I've been using this for so many years and I had proven already its amazing benefit to my hair.

Ask a Question