What equipment did you buy but never used?

Reaction score
I decided to declutter my kitchen and was shocked how many different items I've bought in last few years and never used.
There is a machine for baking bread ( I resigned after failing four times), old blenders that I got somewhere on sale, and many other things.

What is something you fell for but ended up collecting dust on the kitchen shelf?

Reaction score
I bought a hand held electric carving saw and l've never used it once, l also bought a strange electric whisk which I ended up throwing away.

Reaction score
One of the worst ones I wasted money on was a Cuisinart Rotisserie Oven. It was like $250, really heavy and bulky, and a nightmare to keep clean. Also, the pan to catch the grease wasn't deep enough so it would often overflow while cooking. The unit, despite being bulky, was really cramped inside so the chicken was really close to the edges and would splatter all over them. Then the long baking times would cause this grease to get permanently baked on the walls before you could get a chance to clean them.

The Jack LaLane juicer was also a real waste of money. The entire unit was ridiculously huge, yet the spout was down way too low to fit a tall glass or pitcher under it, so I would have to place a large shallow mixing bowl under it to catch the juice then clumsily try and pour it into a pitcher when making juices. Plus there were a ton of parts to clean, which would easily take up your whole dish washer.

Reaction score
Baked potato maker. Seriously. Shove an aluminum rod into the potato, place on the tray and close the lid. Supposedly evenly cooked baked potato in half the time. Fail!!!

Reaction score
I also an a Rotisserie oven. Very bulky and it didn't the size chicken it said it would hold. What a waste! I had an electric whisk as well. Never used it. Cheesecake pan, bundt pan, and one of those little gadgets that separate egg yolks from egg whites. All non-useful things for me.

Reaction score
I did not buy this piece of machinery but was given it as a gift. My ex-step-MIL bought my ex-husband and I an electric carving knife. It never got used once. I have a jerky gun that I have only used once and now it sits in the box waiting to be used again. I really do need to use it but I was daunted by the way my jerky turned out.

Reaction score
And talking about knives, I bought one dual-blade electric knife that was supposed needed for turkey slicing, but it was never at hand by the turkey because I took it off the packing box and for one reason or another the blades never were at hand when it could be used.

Overtime, one of the blades was lost somewhere in the house (haven't yet found it!) while the knife's body is in a drawer and the other blade is elsewhere.

More than 20 years later, this knife has never been used.

Reaction score
Ice cream maker. Though I would use it, but it just sat there until I admitted it was never going to get used (turns out that is a looooong time)

Reaction score
I decided to declutter my kitchen and was shocked how many different items I've bought in last few years and never used.
There is a machine for baking bread ( I resigned after failing four times), old blenders that I got somewhere on sale, and many other things.

What is something you fell for but ended up collecting dust on the kitchen shelf?
I got one of those honey comb spoons. I never think to use it when I'm getting honey. I don't think I've ever used it, except to let my son play with when I'm in the kitchen.

Reaction score
Bread machines, blenders... actually, the list is too long. I use bowls and spoons lol.. bout it.

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear you say that about the bread machine. We have a small kitchen but I would love a used bread machine. Don't know where we would put it and I hate to go to the basement every time I want to use it!

Reaction score
I'm dealing with a lot of guilt and beating myself up about this same topic. I'm in the middle of moving and I'm mad at myself because over the past 4 years, while I was planning and hoping to move , I started collecting baking pans and kitchen gadgets and various kitchen tools and knives. I would find things on clearance and put them away for later.

So I just moved and my new kitchen cabinets are already packed with all the items I bought over the years. I feel like a hoarder and I wish I'd saved the money instead of buying all those baking pans and peelers. Many people start apartment life with one pot and a couple of dishes.

It's pretty extreme that I already have a fully stocked kitchen and I wonder how much money I spent on all this stuff over the past 4 years.

If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would have bought things in advance for the apartment. I could have let that money sit in the bank for 4 years.
I might try to sell some of this stuff on eBay.

Reaction score
The bread maker was a huge waste. I thought bread making was a difficult task, but found out I am awesome at it. The bread maker did help me realize I could do it on my own, though.

I bought this mandolin slicer, thinking I could thinly slice vegetables to eat. I was also going to slice my stuff thin for my dehydrator. I had the hardest time using the stupid mandolin! Then, when I went to put an attachment on it, I cut myself. Now, the mandolin just sits on the shelf.

I love my Jack Lalane juicer! I am a hardcore juicer, though. It does have an awkward spout and cleaning is a pain. Not too bad, though.

Reaction score
I have a noodle maker that you make homemade noodles with. I think I tried it once and it was a total pain and the noodles were not as good as store bought noodles. I also am 100% with Bella, I love my Juicer too but hate to clean it and it is the one appliance that I use daily.

Reaction score
I brought these egg boilers. You were supposed to crack open an egg, pour the contents inside of one, boil them and they come out the same as boiled eggs. The pros - you don't have to deal with peeling off egg shells. After buying them, I realized the time it took to do all of that I could just boil and peel my eggs as usual.

Durable-Boiled-Egg-System-without-the-Shell-Free-Egg-with-Separator-6-pack-54470.jpg

Reaction score
My grandma gave me some of those egg boilers. I have yet to use them. I always add salt to my boiled water and the egg shell comes right off.

Reaction score
I did not buy this piece of machinery but was given it as a gift. My ex-step-MIL bought my ex-husband and I an electric carving knife. It never got used once. I have a jerky gun that I have only used once and now it sits in the box waiting to be used again. I really do need to use it but I was daunted by the way my jerky turned out.

How does a jerky gun work? I have a hard time mentally picturing a gun-like device that turns meat into jerky. Is it some kind of dehydrator?

Reaction score

We got a small crock pot for our wedding which is still collecting dust on a shelf almost eight years later. We do, however, use a larger crock pot for making stews and other slow-cooking foods.
The small crock pot is just too small to use. We really should give it away to the Salvation Army, Good Will or some other charitable organization which can put it to good use.

Reaction score
We got a small crock pot for our wedding which is still collecting dust on a shelf almost eight years later. We do, however, use a larger crock pot for making stews and other slow-cooking foods.
The small crock pot is just too small to use. We really should give it away to the Salvation Army, Good Will or some other charitable organization which can put it to good use.
Is it a mini crock pot like a Little Dipper? The mini crock pots that are pint sized are supposed to be used for melting chocolate or for hot cheese dips. If you have parties, you might want to keep the small crock pot for hot dips.

Reaction score
I bought a grill for making sandwiches and i just can't remember ever using it; it has been sitting in the cupboard for ages gather dust and rust.

Ask a Question