What grains can be added to bread dough without cooking them?

Reaction score
Hello! hope everyone is well.

I just got a Toastmaster Breadmaker's Hearth, a combo toaster oven / bread machine, and I'm excited to start baking. (I'm new at this.))) I am in love with whole grain bread, and I would love to duplicate some of the 7- or 12-grain breads I see. However, I'm in a very small space and can't do a lot of pre-cooking. I read, for example, that quinoa must be not only washed but cooked before it goes in the bread dough. What wonderful healthy grains can I put straight in? Thanks and stay safe!

Reaction score
Go over to Fresh Loaf. I’ve only added seeds and dried fruits. Those can be added simply by soaking. So I can’t tell you about adding whole grain.

Just remember that whenever you add anything to your dough, then knead it in, its like a little razor blade and it will cut through your gluten network. So your dough will not rise. So add-ins should be rolled into the dough in the final shaping.

Ask a Question