Best wheat grinder for homemade flour

Reaction score
I love the taste of a good flavorful whole wheat bread. I had the Whisper Mill wheat grinder and loved it. It was so loud it was like a jet flying through my kitchen but for ten minutes a week it was bearable. It started throwing flour everywhere which was a huge pain so my Hubby said he would get me a new one. That was a year ago. This bagged flour just isnt the same besides being more costly. Im now ready to buy one I just dont know which one is the right choice.

Do any of you grind your own flours? What kind of grinder do you use?

Reaction score
We own a WonderMill grain grinder. We've used it to grind up whole grain, oatmeal, and even beans. It is really loud, though :s
You're right about it being more cost effective overall. Before we bought ours, we had all this grain that we couldn't grind into flour and had to borrow other people's grain grinders because we didn't want to buy it from the store. It's really handy, too, because if you don't have enough flour for your recipe you can just grind up some more instead of driving to the store to get another bag of flour.

Reaction score
I love the taste of a good flavorful whole wheat bread. I had the Whisper Mill wheat grinder and loved it. It was so loud it was like a jet flying through my kitchen but for ten minutes a week it was bearable. It started throwing flour everywhere which was a huge pain so my Hubby said he would get me a new one. That was a year ago. This bagged flour just isnt the same besides being more costly. Im now ready to buy one I just dont know which one is the right choice.

Do any of you grind your own flours? What kind of grinder do you use?

Yes! Mainly red wheat (also called winter wheat). Love the Nutrimill. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but they are quieter and last longer than others I've seen. Most of my friends have moved to Nutrimill as well. It also lasts. Sometimes I will fill the mill and grind up what I need; putting thee rest of the flour in the freezer to keep it fresh. It has a very large capacity.

Reaction score
My grinding mill is an old, no name, very quiet grinder. It's hand crank, so the only sound is me moaning and calling my husband to finish the wheat when my arm wears out (usually after 1/4 cup) Maybe I should invest in an electric one and save the hand crank one for emergencies. I think I'll check out the Nutrimill.

This will also grind corn, right?

How fine can you grind the flour?

Ask a Question