What is the best (easiest) cookie recipe for a newbie to try out?

Reaction score
I just started baking a couple of months ago, and so far I've only tried chocolate chip cookies but they didn't turn out as well as they could have. Is there a recipe that might be a bit simpler to pull of for a total noob? I am so eager to learn and impress my family with my baking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
If your a newbie cook, I would definitely start with the easier, fewer ingredient recipes and work your way up! I have just the thing for you to try, if you like peanut butter, that is. I have a three ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe. All you need is 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg... Thats all! Bake for about 6-9 minutes til done.

Reaction score
Well, if you're a newbie and you really want to cook some cookies, well, you only need the following ingredients:
Fluor
Butter
Sugar
Lemons
I don't have the measures right now since I've not made those cookies for a while, but you can get some delicious cookies with those ingredients. Good luck.

Reaction score
Well I know that it is supposed to be for beginners and the easy stuff, but those butter cookies above sound pretty darn good. Sometimes the simpler the better, and I am often that way when it comes to sweets. I would say something like that, or your standard sugar cookie or even chocolate chip would be the way to go. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I have at least three recipes to try now. I agree that simpler is better for now, and then try to work my way up to the more complicated recipes. My daughter loves sugar cookies, and I'm planning on getting her to make a batch with me this weekend.

Reaction score
I honestly really like the Nestle Tollhouse Cookie recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I know, it's basic, but it was one of the first things I tried baking, and I've always liked them. They should know how to make good cookies since they make the chocolate chips, right?

I'm sure others will have some more choices for you, but I like this. It's tried and tested. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Reaction score
I know what you mean @Zyni about not re-inventing the wheel. I will be sure to add that recipe to my list. At this point I'm eager to try a lot of different things so that I can come up with a favorite choice of my own. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Reaction score
You can always start with a basic recipe and then as you get comfortable with it, you can "doctor it up" to your liking. I do that a lot.

Oops, I totally meant to include the Tollhouse recipe but then forgot the link.

Here you go: Nestle Original Tollhouse Cookies

Reaction score
I was totally new to baking. So I thought of starting the baking with an easy and tasty cookie. I got an recipe from my sister and it sounded delicious. It is Oreo chip cookies. She also recommended me to use horton spice mill products . She tried the recipe with those cookies and she fell in love with it, so I too purchased them and baked the cookies and it tasted wonderful. I wish all of you should try this easy recipe and melt into the ultimate chocolaty world. Here's the recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Cover two baking sheets with parchment papers.
3. Combine 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl and beat it until light and fluffy. Then add 2 eggs to it and beat until evenly combined.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1 tsp. baking soda, 2 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and 1 tsp. salt.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined completely.
6. Using an ice cream scoop place mounds of cookie dough on the baking sheet leaving gaps between each mounds.
7. Bake them for 10-12 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
8. Let them cool for 5 mins and then transfer them to wire rack to cool completely.
Ready to eat :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Personally I like this one, for the purpose of versatility. I think the recipe itself is easy, but it also lends itself to adding chocolate chips, raisins, jam drops -- I feel that things like that are good for making a different variety of cookies.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16632/basic+butter+biscuit+dough

I was interested in what your recipe was since I like to add all kinds of things myself. Also wasn't familiar with caster sugar but do know the fineness of bar sugar (the same). No eggs in these cookies? Almost short bread but not quite? What are they like?

Ask a Question